I gotta let you in on a secret here. It’s kind of embarrassing. I don’t want to say it too loud, so you’re gonna have to come real close so I can whisper it, ok?
Are you listening?
I don’t like fruit.
Okay, I’m running away now cause you probably think I’m a crazy person and totally weird, considering I’m a health nut.
I guess it’s not that I don’t like fruit. It’s just really not my favorite. Give me veggies any day, and I’m all over it!
Here’s the list of fruits that I won’t eat all by themselves, and some not at all:
* Bananas – absolutely NOT. Blegh!
* Honeydew Melon
* Watermelon – unless it’s really sweet and flavorful, which is rare
* Cherries – gross!
Apples, oranges, peaches, strawberries, and fresh pineapple are all on my “safe” list, and I eat them all often. But if it weren’t for smoothies where I can mix it all up into something delicious, I wouldn’t get nearly enough fruits in my every-day.
So when I decided to make a fruit salad, I was sure I had lost my mind. Why would I make something that does nothing for my tastebuds??
You like fruit because you’re not a weirdo like me!
But wait, you want another secret?? (besides the fact that the next picture is GORGEOUS… oh wait, that’s no secret! sorrynotsorry, I’m just really in love with that pic)
Okay, so back to the secret.
I LOVE this fruit salad!!! Seriously. I couldn’t stop eating it (well, minus the bananas because no.. i can’t)! Me, the fruit weirdo. I ate it for breakfast. I had it later that day for a snack. And then I had it the next morning with my oatmeal. I never thought I’d be so in love with a fruit salad. But I admit that I totally am.
So there you have it. This salad can totally convert people. Think about how much you’ll love it because you’re already a fruit lover!
- 1 8- ounce can pineapple tidbits , drained, reserving the liquid for the dressing
- 2 large apples , chopped
- 1 cup red grapes (halved if they're large)
- 2 bananas , sliced
- 1 kiwi fruit , peeled and sliced
- 4-6 large strawberries , chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup mandarin orange segments (from about 2 mandarin oranges)
- 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons pure honey
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup plain , nonfat Greek yogurt
- Drain the canned pineapple, reserving the juice for the dressing. Set pineapple aside.
- To prepare dressing, in a small saucepan, combine the pineapple juice, coconut oil, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool completely. When cooled, stir in Greek yogurt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For salad: In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, apple, grapes, banana, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, and orange. Toss together well with the dressing right before serving.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
Looking for more fruit recipes?
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Yummly, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!