Indulge in the decadent taste of these chocolatey Black Bean Brownies, perfect for vegans who miss the taste of these gooey chocolate delights. With simple ingredients and a bit of your time, you will have the perfect dairy-free dessert to enjoy.
Has it been a long time since you’ve had a warm, delicious brownie? If so, you may have a craving for this chocolate goodness but aren’t sure how to make a dairy-free, vegan-friendly version of such a popular dessert.
The good news is that this recipe is here to help you, making it possible for you to indulge in that chocolate taste you love without the guilt of consuming non-vegan products.
Black Bean Brownies Recipe
In this recipe, I will show you what you need to do to make the moistest, most delicious brownies possible. These Black Bean Brownies are everything you can imagine and more, and you won’t even notice the taste of the black beans used to prepare them!
So, if you’ve been in the mood for chocolate and brownies, I encourage you to test this recipe out. Whether you’re a skilled baker or someone who is relatively new to preparing baked treats, you can master the art of making the signature black bean brownie!
Why You’ll Love This Black Bean Brownies Recipe
- When you’re following a vegan lifestyle, you may assume that brownies are out of the question. However, this recipe proves you can still indulge in something SO delicious.
- The Black Bean Brownies are sure to cure your sweet tooth cravings, especially when you’re in the mood for chocolate.
- These brownies are easy to prepare and are far better for you than traditional brownies because of the ingredients used to make them.
Ingredients And Substitutions For Black Bean Brownies
Making Black Bean Brownies is relatively simple. Before you get started, gather these must-have ingredients:
Oats – Use quick oats to make your batter thicker. If you don’t have quick oats, you can use whole oats, but you will need to put them in a food processor before using them.
Black Beans – You can’t make these brownies without the key ingredient – black beans! Any brand will do.
Maple Syrup – Use maple syrup to give these brownies a sweet touch. You can also substitute maple syrup for agave syrup if you have that and would prefer to use it.
Apple Sauce – A bit of applesauce works perfectly as a substitute for eggs in this brownie recipe.
Cocoa Powder – Use cocoa powder to give your brownies the perfect chocolate touch that really takes the flavor to the next level.
Pitted Dates – The addition of dates in this recipe enhances the texture of the brownies, making them chewy and gooey. You will need a minimum of six and up to eight dates for this recipe.
In addition to these ingredients, be sure to have a few others, such as water, baking powder, and vanilla extract, to make the best Black Bean Brownies.
Tips For Making Black Bean Brownies
Add Sugar for a Sweeter Taste
Sugar is optional. However, if you want these brownies to have a sweeter taste, definitely add a bit of granulated sugar to your mixture.
Oil Your Baking Dish
Put a generous amount of oil on your baking dish before adding your batter to it. You want to do this to keep your brownies from getting stuck to the pan and falling apart.
Let Cool Before Slicing
Instead of slicing these brownies while warm, which could cause them to fall apart, simply let them sit out and cool for several minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Black Bean Brownies
If you think your batter is too thin and runny, be sure to add a bit more oats to the mixture. The addition of oats will thicken it right up. However, don’t be afraid of runny batter because that keeps these brownies super moist.
Yes! By using ingredients like applesauce and maple syrup, you’re adding natural sweetness to the brownies. Not only will they taste good and have that sweet flavor, but they will be better for you.
Definitely. Get creative and add your favorite nuts to this recipe, such as chopped pecans or walnuts, both of which go great in chocolate brownies.
More Delicious Vegan Dessert Recipes
- Homemade Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- Vegan Carrot Cake Cookies
- Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Vegan Royal Icing
- Homemade Vegan Marshmallows
I found this recipe for Gluten-Free Chocolate-Tahini Brownies that I HAVE to try!
Yay! You have made it this far, and I am so glad! Hey – If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below.
Black Bean Brownies
- 8×8 inch baking dish
- Mixing Bowl
- ¼ cup pitted dates about 6-8 dates
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups black beans 1, 15 ounce can
- ¾ cup oats quick, or food processed whole oats
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple sauce unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons sugar optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C and lightly oil an 8×8 baking dish. Then, in a small saucepan, place the ½ cup of water and the dates and simmer over low/medium heat until the dates start to get soft. About 5-7 minutes.
- In a food processor place add the oats and blend on high until the oats become a fine or small consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and blend until a smooth consistency. (If you want a brownie with more texture then you can keep the batter more chunky.)
- Pour the batter into a large mixing bowl and add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish.
- Cook 18-20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out nearly clean. These brownies are slightly moist so the toothpick doesn’t need to come out fully clean and dry.
- Let cool to room temperature and enjoy!