This VEGAN COCONUT CREAM PIE tastes anything but healthy. Your guests will assume they’re eating a classic cream pie and will never know the difference. Only you’ll know that you’ve got a healthy pie on your hands!
It’s all a balancing act between indulgences and nutrient-rich foods.
Find out what healthy foods I can’t live without in my kitchen!
There’s a pretty big chance that the majority of you are going to be terrified of this recipe once you view the ingredient list. But I just want to get it all out in the open and talk about why you are going to love this pie if you’re a coconut lover like I am. More like obsessed really.
During the holidays, I feel like so many of us are picking and choosing what foods we get to indulge on in order to stay health-conscious. Cream pies generally aren’t on the list of those desserts that we pick in order to keep our waist-lines in check. On top of that, what about all the vegans that want to enjoy cream pies and can’t anymore? Well, let me tell you. I have the most delicious solution to both issues on hand. And the awesome thing is that it only takes 5 minutes to put together, so if you’re planning your menu at the last minute, this one is totally do-able. An impressive pie that took you only a few hands-on minutes.
About 7 or 8 Thanksgiving’s ago, I made this pie for the first time for dessert at my ex-future-in-laws (totally weird right?). Mr. Ex-Future-Father-in-Law is a huge coconut fan like me, so I was excited to give this one a whirl. He’s also nowhere near a health-nut, so I was equally scared out of my mind. I didn’t want it to taste healthy by any means. I was aiming to impress. I didn’t give away my secret ingredients. I didn’t mention anything about it being healthy. I just let everyone dig in.
And I still remember him standing there just loving his piece of pie. Saying how good it was. And there I was just snickering inside. I didn’t want to ruin the experience, so I let it go. Until later when we were all sitting around watching tv.
“The pie. It was tofu.”
“What was tofu?”
“All of it.”
“REALLY? Seriously?! But it was so good! Aw man!”
Totally shocked and taken aback. He loved the pie and had no clue it was mostly tofu that he was eating. Knowing there was tofu in it didn’t change the fact that this pie was delicious – although I think he was bummed to find out that he could enjoy something so much that was tofu-based. Seriously one of my favorite moments as a healthy baker.
If you’re looking for a non-dairy, healthy, and delicious pie this holiday season, this Vegan Coconut Cream Pie is the one for you and your loved ones.
- 2 12- ounce packages of soft silken tofu
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, , melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup agave
- 2 1/4 cup coconut, , shredded
For Pie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, (about 10 whole graham cracker rectangles)
- 2-3 Tablespoons coconut oil, , melted
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make pie crust: In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients. Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of a pie plate using your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together tofu, oil, vanilla, salt, and agave. Fold in 2 cups of the coconut. Pour into the pie crust and bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of coconut on top and bake for another 10 minutes until filling looks set and not very jiggly.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Place in refrigerator for a couple hours for the center to become solid. Serve chilled.
And don’t forget to get my free guide so you can stock your healthy kitchen the same way… without blowing your budget!
Other healthy dessert options: