Delight your stomach with this warming recipe for Vegan Potato Soup. It’s a flavorful soup prepared with fresh, wholesome ingredients.
One of my favorite foods of all time is soup. It’s super filling, easy to customize, and full of flavor. Best of all, it’s the kind of meal you can have at any time of the year, whether it’s cold and windy outside or hot and sunny!
If you’re like me and enjoy having a flavorful bowl of soup at least a few times per week, you’ve probably noticed that many options at the local grocery stores aren’t vegan-friendly. Even worse, they often contain excessive amounts of sodium and preservatives, which are not good for you.
While this is a dilemma I’ve encountered, recipes like this one eliminate that frustration. With this Vegan Potato Soup recipe, you will learn how to make a hearty, wholesome potato soup loaded with flavor and healthy, nutritious ingredients.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Potato Soup Recipe
- This soup is full of good ingredients, including onion, celery, beans, and potatoes.
- The Vegan Potato Soup is super filling. You can enjoy it as an appetizer or have it as your main meal for lunch, dinner, or even breakfast.
- It’s not hard to make this soup from scratch. Once you give it a try, you will see how easy it is to make something so incredibly delicious! If you love easy soup, you have got to add Broccoli Potage to your list!
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup Ingredients and Substitutions
Enjoy the creamy taste of this delicious Vegan Potato Soup. Before you can make this homemade soup, you will need a few essential ingredients to assemble it!
Vegan Butter – The addition of vegan butter adds flavor to the vegetable broth that you will use to make this soup.
Celery – Grab your stalk of celery and dice it down into small pieces. If you don’t have celery, you can use fennel bulbs in this soup recipe.
Garlic – Mince your cloves of garlic into small pieces to add to your pot of ingredients for the soup.
Yellow Onion – Dice your onion into small pieces to go with your celery and garlic. While yellow onion works best, you can use a white onion or Spanish onion for this recipe.
Yukon Gold Potatoes – Cut your potatoes into small cubes. You don’t want them to be too big or too small for this soup.
Vegetable Broth – Add four cups of vegetable broth to your pot for the soup. The broth is the base for this creamy soup! If you don’t have vegetable broth, you can use water for this recipe, but you will need to add more seasonings to give the soup a better taste.
Vegan Sour Cream – Use a bit of vegan sour cream to thicken this soup up a bit, making it creamier and more flavorful.
You will need a few other ingredients, such as canned white beans, plain unsweetened almond milk, salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg. By combining these ingredients, you will end up with a creamy, savory soup that keeps you coming back for more.
Tips And Tricks For Making Vegan Potato Soup
Add Vegan Meat Crumbles
If you want to make this soup even heartier, you can always prepare some vegan meat crumbles and then toss them into the pot with your broth, potatoes, and other ingredients.
Make It Cheesy
Are you a cheese lover? If so, you can use vegan cheese on this soup. Not only can you add it to the soup while it’s cooking, but you can also top your soup with some shredded cheese to give it that extra flavor.
Fill It Up with Veggies
You can add more vegetables to this soup if you’d like! The Vegan Potato Soup pairs well with corn, diced carrots, peas, and even chopped broccoli. Simply choose your favorite vegetables and toss them into the pot with the other ingredients. You can use fresh, canned, or frozen veggies for this soup.
Vegan Potato Soup FAQs
Definitely! If you don’t have any Yukon gold potatoes, you can always use red potatoes or russet potatoes.
When you want a super thick and creamy soup, use an immersion blender to blend down some of the potatoes and other ingredients, which will help thicken your soup right up.
You can serve this soup by itself or with a piece of French bread and a side salad covered in your favorite vegan-friendly dressing!
More Simple Vegan Soup Recipes
I found this recipe for Vegan Hot and Sour Soup that I HAVE to try!
Yay! You have made it this far, and I am so glad! Hey – If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below.
Vegan Potato Soup
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes cubed
- 1 15-ounce can white beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 4 ounces vegan sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- vegan cheddar optional
- chives optional
- extra vegan sour cream optional
- Heat the butter in a 5-quart or larger Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and celery, cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and cook another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the cayenne, nutmeg, and seasoning salt, cook 30 seconds to bloom the spices before adding in the potatoes, white beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer, cover, and continue simmering for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the almond milk and sour cream. If desired, use an immersion blender to puree a bit of the soup for extra creaminess. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with option toppings before serving.