Gone are the days when you couldn't have chicken wings. These Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wings are a serious flavor combination that can't be stopped.
Move over, chicken wings! These vegan buffalo chicken wings made from seitan are about to take over your game day spread.
Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, these wings pack a serious flavor punch thanks to their buffalo sauce coating.
Serve them up with some celery and blue cheese dressing for the ultimate finger food experience.
Reasons Why You'll Love Veggie Wings
- These Seitan wings are vegan! No chickens were harmed in the making of these wings. We also have this Jackfruit Tacos recipe that is completely vegan and SO delicious!
- These wings are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
- They're coated in a delicious buffalo sauce that will tantalize your taste buds.
- Vegan Chicken Wings are perfect for sharing with friends at your next game-day gathering. And if you love vegan appetizers, try these Veggie Spring Rolls at your next party.
Ingredients and Substitutions
When it comes to making these wings, you'll need:
Seitan "Chicken Wings” - You can find these at most health food stores in the freezer section. I like to use the brand Beyond Meat. If you can’t find seitan wings, you could also use cauliflower florets. Of course, you can also do a DIY version.
Buffalo Hot Sauce - You can use any kind of hot sauce that you like. I prefer to use Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
Oil - I used vegetable oil because it has a high smoke point, but you could also use olive oil or avocado oil.
Vegan butter - You shouldn’t have any problems finding vegan butter at the store.
Onion and Garlic Powder - These spices work together perfectly to create a balanced flavor profile.
Vegan Ranch - You can easily find Vegan Ranch at the grocery store, or make your own! You could also use blue cheese dressing.
Celery and carrots - These are traditional accompaniments to chicken wings. You could also add some chopped-up kale or other greens.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wings
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F/205°C degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the seitan “wings” with the vegetable oil on both sides.
Step 2: Bake for 15 minutes, flip them, and bake for 10 more minutes. While the wings are baking make the sauce. Place the hot sauce in a small bowl.
Step 3: Whisk in the melted butter and spices, and set aside. Once the wings are out of the oven, add them to a medium bowl, pour the buffalo sauce on top, and toss
Step 4: The wings will be very saucy. Serve with ranch, carrot sticks, and celery.
For the full recipe for Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wings, refer to the recipe below.
Tips and Tricks for Making Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wings
Pan Fry: These veggie wings are also delicious pan-fried in a bit of oil (a few minutes on each side). Just make sure that the sauce is thoroughly cooked before serving.
Double Fry: For extra crispy wings, you can fry them twice. First, fry them in a shallow layer of oil for a few minutes on each side until they are browned. Then, add them to the baking sheet and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Try a Different Sauce: Not a fan of buffalo sauce? No problem! You can easily swap out the buffalo sauce for BBQ sauce, honey mustard, or any other sauce that you like.
Vegan Chicken Wings Recipe FAQs
Seitan is a wheat-based protein that has a texture similar to chicken. It’s often used as a vegetarian or vegan meat substitute.
These wings are delicious with a side of celery and carrot sticks and your favorite dipping sauce.
You can make these wings as hot or as mild as you like by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper in the buffalo sauce recipe.
These wings can be reheated in a 350°F/175°C oven for about 10 minutes. You can also reheat them in the microwave.
No, you don’t have to use vegan butter, but it does add a nice richness to the buffalo sauce. If you don’t want to use vegan butter, you can substitute it with olive oil.
Looking for more vegan chicken recipes?
I found this recipe for Vegan General Tao's Chick'n that I HAVE to try!
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/205°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and then brush the seitan “wings” with the vegetable oil on both sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip them, and bake for 10 more minutes.
- While the wings are baking make the sauce. Place the hot sauce in a small sized bowl.
- Whisk in the melted butter and spices, set aside.
- Once the wings are out of the oven, add them to a medium bowl, pour the buffalo sauce on top, and toss. The wings will be very saucy.
- Serve with ranch, carrot sticks, and celery.