A chocolate peanut butter smoothie is exactly what you need when you’re craving a Peanut Butter Cup
Boy am I glad I decided to make this week a smoothie week! I can’t tell you how much I just love smoothies. There are so many varieties and combinations. And when all is said and done, you can feel good about what you’re putting in your body because you know what the ingredients are, and you watched it all come together in your own kitchen.
Most of the time, my smoothies are fruit and veggie-based, like my delicious green goddess smoothie recipe or this Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. All those nutrients. All the good stuff our bodies need. But sometimes, I get this craving that just can’t be fulfilled with fruits and veggies.
I may still be dreaming about Reese’s Trees and looking forward to Reese’s Hearts, Eggs, and Jack ‘o Lanterns. And I know from experience, that’s not a craving that goes away easily. Do I want to consume a whole milkshake when I’m trying to get fit? Not necessarily. But do I want those flavors? You betcha!
So I do what any normal person would do. (Well, you could make my Vegan Peanut Butter Eggs Recipe…) OR… Find a way to indulge in those yummy flavors without sacrificing my health goals. Lots of the healthy stuff, and just a little bit of these flavors in their natural unprocessed form. Peanut butter and cocoa are strong enough flavors that you don’t need a whole lot to get the flavor you’re looking for, which makes these smoothies seem a whole lot more like dessert than a healthy breakfast or other post-workout meal.
The other awesome thing about these smoothies is that when you add a bunch of ice, you have the ability to make it almost an ice cream-like thickness, which is totally up my alley. I love when my smoothies are thick enough you can eat them with a spoon. Again, it just makes it feel that much more indulgent, and if I can trick my mind into thinking that, I am totally game!
A couple other smoothie favorites:
More Delicious Smoothie Recipes to Try
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Crunch Smoothie
- Cream Machine Green Smoothie
- Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Blueberry Lavender Smoothie Bowl
- Vegan Pineapple Carrot Cake Smoothie
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/2-1/3 cup water
- 1 banana frozen
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoon dairy-free chocolate chips optional
- 12-15 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients through the peanut butter to your blender. Add about half the ice that you will be using. Blend on high until combined completely.
- Add cocoa nibs and remaining ice. Blend until just combined so you still have an icy treat with the cocoa nibs intact.
- If you’re using a Blendtec*, there is a smoothie button you can just push and it will do all the work for you while you clean up.
These are the tools I use for this recipe:
* To get the smoothie super smooth and thoroughly combined with no chunks, I use this high-powered blender.
* King Arthur’s Dutch cocoa powder for a rich chocolate flavor.
To cut down on the time it takes to make a smoothie, be sure to check out my Smoothie Prep Post.
What indulgent flavors do you wish would be healthier?
** I only have experience using a Blendtec blender for this smoothie. The great thing about this blender (among other things) is that you literally throw everything in the blender, push a button, and walk away. It does all the work for you. As a Blendtec affiliate, I do make a small commission if you do decide to make a purchase through the link, but this is as no additional cost to you. If you make this awesome decision, I just want to thank you in advance for your support. I truly appreciate it! **