When you're feeling under the weather, in need of comfort, or just downright cold, this Bean and No Bacon Soup is sure to do the trick of helping you feel back to your best!
I hate to say it. Maybe if I don't say it, it won't actually be true.
No, it's true. The chill is near.
Although in my neck of the woods, we're still hitting 80 degree weather during the day, the mornings and evenings definitely are cold. Now in the mornings, I immediately step into my slippers and throw on a hoodie. Then when I sit down to work, chances are, I'm also throwing my big comfy blanket over my lap.
And you know what the cold means, right?
Sniffles and sore throats. Coughs and body aches. They're all right around the corner, and I'm pretty much dreading that occasion.
When I was a kid, one of my favorite soups ever was Campbells Bean with Bacon Soup. It's really the only thing I wanted when I was sick. Sometimes I'd even take a couple spoonfuls of the canned soup before mixing it with water and heating it up. I loved that stuff.
In fact, it wasn't until the first time I got sick post-vegetarianism that I realized I wouldn't get to enjoy that comforting steamy bowl of soup ever again. What a sad realization that was for me.
I have spent the last 11 years trying to fill the void. Tomato soup, vegetable soup, various chilis. Nothing quite did the trick, especially when I was feeling under-the-weather. And then it FINALLY dawned on me that I could try and make it on my own. DUH! I knew that by adding liquid smoke, I could omit the bacon and still achieve the flavors I so loved from childhood.
So now, between my comforting bowl of soup, some green tea, and Ricola throat drops, the next time I'm sick, I'll be ready to fight!
(In fact, I'm kind of nervous that I'm jinxing myself just by writing this post... I better increase the vitamins this week!)
Just like my soup, Ricola throat drops offer me so much soothing comfort when I have a sore throat or a cough. It's the special blend of herbs that's been mixed together to create some sort of magic in each drop! That's what makes these drops different (and BETTER!) than any other drop I've ever tried for a sore throat. I especially love the new Honey Lemon flavor. Not only does the honey coat my throat, but the lemon soothes the soreness.
What foods do you eat when you're feeling under the weather?
Vegan Bean and No Bacon Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion , diced (medium)
- 2 carrots , diced
- 1 stalk of celery , diced
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 15 oz Cans northern beans drained & rinsed, divided per instructions below
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once heated, add the onions, celery, and carrots and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic, paprika, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and cook for another minute while stirring. Add the broth, liquid smoke, and 2 of the cans of beans. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the veggies are tender. 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.. Using an immersion blender or working in batches with a blender, puree the soup. I like to leave the soup slightly chunky, so I don't blend or puree completely. Just enough to get the ingredients mixed together, like a thick sauce. Return to the mixture to the pot and return to medium-low heat.
- Add the remaining can of beans. Stir to combine. Return to a simmer until the beans are heated through.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.