Apparently, a Classic Bloody Mary is a hangover cure, and sometimes you just need some of that.
Here’s the thing. I’m 32. I drink on occasion. I enjoy cocktails. I don’t handle alcohol very well.
Because of that, chances are high that when I drink, I’m going to end up more hungover than I’d like.
After a bit of google searching for the best hangover cure, it turns out the key is to drink more alcohol… really? Does that even make sense? Who in their right mind would continue to drink after feeling the effects of too much to drink the night before??
I’m actually fairly confident that the person who decided that a cocktail is the perfect hangover cure has never actually had a massive hangover, or they would know that the thought of more alcohol would just cause a series of dry heaving.
So yes, this cocktail that is supposed to be the cure-all to hangovers. The Bloody Mary.
In all my years, I had never had the chance to experience this one. Well, the truth of the matter is that I had no desire to. I mean really – cold and spicy tomato soup-like stuff mixed with vodka?! Hell to the no!
Turns out, my wife had tried one about a year ago and she wanted to make it at home. And I agreed. And we recorded the experience… while drinking…
So, check it out and find out if I ended up liking this bloody mary.
- 32 ounces tomato juice
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 teaspoons liquod smoke
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon ground celery seed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces vodka (or 4 ounces of everclear)
- In a large pitcher, whisk all ingredients except the ice and vodka together to combine.
- Fill glasses about half way with ice. If mixing with vodka, pour 2 ounces (or 1 ounce of everclear) into the glass, then fill with 6 to 8 ounces of the bloody Mary mix. Garnish with a celery stick.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Yummly, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!