Grab your tortilla chips! Here’s a recipe that brings all the zippy, zesty flavors of your favorite taco or burrito together in an irresistible vegan dip that everyone will love!
If you thought 7 layer bean dip was nothing more than a decadent, dairy slathered memory from your pre-vegan days, I’m about to give you some happy, drool inducing news.
7 layer dip can be vegan and it can be healthy and it can be delicious! This recipe gives you the perfect formula for a 7 layer dip that will please any crowd.
It's perfect for parties and picnics. In fact, this dip is so dang good it’s likely to be the very first dish that disappears, all gobbled up by your adoring fans!
Vegan 7 Layer Bean Dip Ingredient Spotlight
You’ll be surprised at how easily you can source the ingredients for this Vegan 7 Layer Bean Dip! Most of them are pre-prepared and ready to go into the recipe.
Ingredient 1 : Refried black beans-
Refried black beans are tasty, loaded with flavor and pack an impressive protein and fiber punch. They form the base for this taco-inspired dip. You can certainly sub with refried pinto beans if you prefer them.
Ingredient 2 : Vegan cheese sauce-
Vegan cheese sauce adds flavor and a familiar rich element to this recipe. Buy it already made in a container (Siete brand is one option) from the store or make your own. The internet (don’t forget Youtube) is hella loaded with a variety of yummy vegan cheese sauce recipes (like mine!) made from cashews, cauliflower, butternut squash or potatoes and nutritional yeast. Or just use vegan cheese shreds.
Ingredient 3 : Avocados-
Creamy and full of crazy deliciousness, avocados are the umami star of this recipe. Make sure your avocados are ripe, but not too ripe. Not hard and not squishy, a ready avocado gives just a little when you gently squeeze it. Perfect avocados will make this dish shine! If you don’t care for avocados you can sub with mashed green peas or vegan sour cream.
This dish is so quick and easy to make! You'll be dipping in no time at all!
Step-by-Step Instructions for 7 Layer Bean Dip
Step 1 - In a mixing bowl, or food processor add the refried black beans and mash well. Add the cumin, ground red pepper, and ¼ cup water, and mix together. Add more water as needed to create the preferred dipping texture.
Step 2 - Add the bean mixture to a 9 x 13 inch serving dish, creating an even layer spreading to the edges.
Step 3 - Pour the vegan cheese sauce over the bean mixture and spread to create an even layer.
Step 4 - To a mixing bowl or food processor add the avocado, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and garlic. Mash well until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
Step 5 - Spread the avocado mixture to create an even layer on top of the cheese sauce layer.
Step 6 - Next pour and then spread the salsa to create an even layer on top of the avocado layer.
Step 7 - In a mixing bowl, add the sweet corn, tomatoes, olives, and jalapeño. Mix together and layer over the salsa layer.
Step 8 - Next, add a layer of shredded lettuce.
Step 9 - For the final layer, sprinkle green onions and cilantro over the top.
Step 10 - Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
You’ll find yourself longing to repeat this simple 7 layer bean dip packed, with creaminess and lip-smacking Southwest flavors. Why?
- So easy to shop for and throw together at the last minute.
- Super full of craveworthy nutritious ingredients.
- It’s vegan, but Does Not taste like it.
Cindy's Insider Pro Tips
Check for lard
Be careful to read the labels on your cans of refried beans. Some of them contain animal fat, AKA lard. Lard is not vegan! Many refried beans actually say fat free on their label, a good sign. Instead of refried beans, you can make this dip with homemade 3-bean vegetarian chili instead.
Prep ahead for fast assembly
You can cut up tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and jalapenos the night before and keep in airtight containers. This will speed up getting your dish together the next day. Vegan cheese sauce can be made ahead too. Save prepping the avocados for the day of serving to avoid brownness.
Test your vegan cheese sauce ahead of time
Vegan cheese sauces vary a lot in flavor. One person’s fav might not appeal to you, so whether you make it or buy it from a store, you’d better taste it before layering it into your dip. A vegan cheese you don’t love can turn your 7 layer bean dip into a disappointment.
7 Layer Taco Dip FAQs
You can store it for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Freezing is not recommended as the integrity of many of the fresh ingredients will be lost when thawed back out. Best to enjoy this awesome taco-taste inspired dish fresh!
Crunchy tortilla chips are hard to beat, but this dip is also delicious with veggies like jicama, celery, carrot sticks, or cucumber slices. Healthy, crispy nut and seed crackers are also a delicious choice.
I have a fantastic one! Here’s the link. https://happyfoodhealthylife.com/vegan-cheese-sauce-recipe/
You’ll love how amazing it tastes!
Looking for more Vegan Snack Recipes?
Now that you know how to easy it is to make this 7 Layer Bean Dip recipe, please give it a star rating below and comment letting me know how it turned out for you.
The Best Vegan 7 Layer Bean Dip
- 2 cans 14 ounces refried black beans
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup water
- 2 cups vegan cheese sauce
- 2 avocados peeled and pitted
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup roma tomatoes diced
- ⅓ cup black olives sliced
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, add the black refried beans and mash well. Add the cumin, cayenne, and ¼ cup water. Mix together. Add more water as needed to create preferred dipping texture.
- Add the bean mixture to a 9 x 13 inch serving dish, creating an even layer spreading to the edges.
- Pour the vegan cheese sauce over the bean mixture and spread to create an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, add the avocado, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and garlic. Mash well until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Add the avocado mixture to create an even layer on top of the cheese sauce layer.
- Pour the salsa to create an even layer on top of the avocado layer.
- In a mixing bowl, add the sweet corn, tomatoes, olives, and jalapenos. Mix together and layer over top the salsa layer.
- For the next layer, add the lettuce over top.
- For the final layer, sprinkle the green onions and cilantro on top.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy.