If you’re craving the flavors of your favorite enchiladas, but don’t want to spend the time rolling each one up, opt for this super easy Vegan Enchilada Casserole Recipe where you just layer it up and throw it in the oven.
Make sure you take a second to save this recipe in the Grow app so it’s only a touch away whenever the craving hits! (look for the heart in the bottom right of your screen)
Listen. I love enchiladas. They’re one of my favorite foods. But you know what I don’t love?
Standing at the counter rolling and stuffing all the little tortillas. Unfortunately, I just don’t have the time for weeknight meals that take a whole lot of time.
And I’d bet you feel the same way.
With this Vegan Enchilada Casserole, you just layer it all up in a casserole dish, throw it in the oven, and in the time it takes you to fold a load or 2 of laundry, dinner’s ready to be served!
Corn (or flour) Tortillas
Red Enchilada Sauce
Red & Green Bell Peppers
That’s it! Super simple ingredients you can get from any grocery store.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Vegan Enchilada Casserole
Time needed: 45 minutes.
- Step 1
In a large bowl, mix the enchilada sauce and chili sauce together.
- Step 2
Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce mixture over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Step 3
Lay 6-8 tortillas on top of the sauce layer and spread about 1 more cup of the sauce onto the tortillas, fully coating them.
- Step 4
Sprinkle half the beans, half the corn, and half of the bell peppers on top of the tortillas and top with a third of the vegan cheese.
- Step 5
Repeat the layers starting with the tortillas, then sauce, remaining beans, peppers, corn, and another third of the cheese.
- Step 6
Top with another layer of tortillas
- Step 7
Coat with the remaining sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Step 8
Place in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the middle is cooked through.
- Step 9
Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and then serve with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and green onion.
This Vegan Enchilada Casserole Recipe is everything you’ve ever needed when it comes to comfort food:
- Ridiculously easy throw together type of meal
- Serves a crowd
- Super comforting
Holly’s Insider Pro Tips
Amp up your topping game
This is where you can go crazy. Once you pull the cooked enchilada casserole out the oven, feel free to top it with whatever you’d like. Or you can serve with bowls of toppings so your crew can top their own dish however they’d like. I’m thinking vegan sour cream, cilantro, hot sauce, jalapenos, guacamole, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, crushed tortilla chips, a squeeze of lime juice. Sky’s the limit on this one!
Wanting to add more protein? Pinto beans, taco-seasoned lentils, smoky tempeh, crumbled and cooked tofu. You can add whatever you’d like.
And if you have more veggies to use, be my guest – zucchini, spinach, roasted broccoli, sweet potato. Add as much as you’d please!
Use an enchilada sauce you love
One of the most prominent flavors in this dish is the enchilada sauce, so you’ll want to be sure it’s a flavor you know you’ll love. And if you’re not short on time, and your grandma makes a killer enchilada sauce, feel free to go homemade!! No one’s stoppin’ ya!
Enchilada Casserole Recipe FAQs
Generally, I do cover my enchiladas to trap in the moisture and prevent the rolled up tortillas from drying out. But because this is a casserole, and your tortillas are completely smothered, there’s no need to cover with foil.
This dish makes great leftovers. You can refrigerate in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. Or you can choose to freeze individual pieces or the entire pan once cooked and cooled. Just defrost the night before.
Looking for more Vegan Recipes?
Now that you know how to easy it is to make this vegan enchilada casserole recipe, please give it a star rating below and comment letting me know how it turned out for you.
- 25-28 corn tortillas
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, canned or frozen & thawed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegan cheese of choice, shredded
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the enchilada sauce and chili sauce together until well combined.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce mixture over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay 6-8 tortillas on top of the sauce layer and then spread about 1 more cup of the sauce onto the tortillas, fully coating them.
- Sprinkle half the beans, half the corn, and half of the bell peppers on top of the tortillas and top with a third of the vegan cheese.
- Repeat the layers starting with the tortillas, then add sauce, then the rest of the beans, bell peppers, corn, and another third of the cheese.
- Top this all with another layer of tortillas.
- Coat with the remaining sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the middle is cooked through.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and then serve with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and green onion.
Nutritional Information listed below is for 8 servings. Please know that there is no shame in making this dish a 1-serving situation or a 20-serving situation. Nutritional information for the entire dish is as follows, and you are more than welcome to break it down as you see fit.
Entire dish - kcal: 2744 F: 52 C: 501 P: 98
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 782mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 9gSugar: 14gProtein: 12g
Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers. I expressly disclaim any and all liability of any kind with respect to any act or omission wholly or in part in reliance on anything contained in this website.