This Vegan Breakfast Hash is a hearty plant-based breakfast that’s jam-packed with veggies and a punch of flavor in each bite.
If you make this recipe, be sure to post it on your Instagram and tag me @happyfoodholly #happyfoodhealthylife so I can highlight your creation on my IG Stories!
Vegan breakfast hash – 3 words that have been the cause of much excitement and mouth-watering these days. They beg for it. They crave it. They want it for all meals of the day.
They want it in a tortilla. They want it in a bowl. They want it topped with all the vegan cheese they can get away with (before I cut them off).
To say I’ve been stressed out and nervous about pulling breakfast off as a new vegan is a complete under-statement. I have a huge love-affair with veggie-packed omelettes. My other half absolutely loves a good stack of eggy french toast. And well, the kiddo, he just loves meat.
So I definitely had a challenge on my hands on that first Sunday after we’d decided to go plant-based. Sunday breakfast is one of my favorite meals to cook for my family. There’s no rush like most meals I make for them during the week.
But like I said, I had no idea what I was going to make. No healthy vegan breakfast ideas. No vegan breakfast recipes in my back pocket. The last thing I wanted to do was ruin our favorite meal together.
Saturday night came around and it was down to the wire. I had to get to the store to gather ingredients for the next morning. So I did what I knew how to do best – gather lots of things to throw together, cross my fingers, and hope for the best.
My goodness, I wish crossing my fingers and hoping got me these amazing results every time, because woah! This time, it was a hit!
This vegan breakfast hash doesn’t leave you feeling like you only ate bird food. It doesn’t make you feel vegan at all. No deprivation one bit!
- the smoky flavor from the paprika in every bite
- the hearty potatoes that fill you up
- the mushrooms and black beans for added flavor and protein
- the spinach that just tucks into every bite, giving you lots of plant-based iron
Of course, it wouldn’t be a breakfast at my house if it wasn’t drenched in ketchup, and if that’s your style, so be it. I prefer a generous spoonful of salsa, but that’s just my jam.
You do you, kid.
So that’s that. I’m convinced I can manage this healthy vegan breakfast life. We have yet to master a vegan french toast, but believe me, we have tried and will keep on trying until we get it right (and of course will share it with you!) –> update: VEGAN FRENCH TOAST has been mastered!!
I can’t wait for you to give this one a try for your next vegan brunch or even weeknight dinner! Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner?!
Oh and if you’re a visual learner like me, I made a video of my Vegan Breakfast Hash so you can see exactly how easy it is to make!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10-14 oz vegan breakfast sausage, (I like LightLife and Gardein brands)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 3-5 oz baby spinach, 2 large handfuls
- salsa, optional
- vegan sour cream, optional
- green onions, optional
- In a large skillet heat oil on medium heat. Once hot, add potatoes and breakfast sausage. (if sausage is frozen, see notes). Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let potatoes and sausage cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are browned on the edges and fork tender.
- Add in black beans, mushrooms, paprika, and seasoned salt, cooking for another 5 minutes or so until everything is warmed through and mushrooms are slightly cooked and their juices have started releasing.
- Once everything is cooked through, add in the spinach. Stir and cover for a couple of minutes, allowing the heat to wilt the spinach.
- Serve right away and top with salsa, vegan sour cream, and green onions if desired.
- If sausage is still frozen, add it in first and allow to at least partially thaw before adding the potatoes in.
I found other vegan breakfast recipes my family loves that I hope you do too!
Sweet Potato Vegan Breakfast Burritos (make ahead & freezer-friendly!)
Dairy-Free Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
I also really want to try my friend Nicole’s Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars – they look right up my alley!
And oh my goodness, these Vegan Breakfast Bowls from The View From Great Island are just giving me life right now.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!