Looking for a healthy cookie that you can eat for breakfast? These No-Bake Dark Chocolate Orange Protein Cookies are total winners… AND you don’t even have to bake them, so they’re ready in no time at all!
Orange and Chocolate.
Chocolate and Orange.
A winning combination that is totally unappreciated, and I can’t figure out why it’s not a flavor match used in many recipes around the web.
You see peppermint,gingerbread, eggnog and cranberry. But not a whole lot of orange and chocolate, which makes me sad.
But more than anything, I see it as an opportunity to shower you with the deliciousness right here on my site. And I even have another chocolate orange recipe coming to you in a couple weeks.
With all the Christmas cookies this time of the year, I thought I’d bring you something a little lighter. Yes, it’s still a cookie. but it’s one you can eat for breakfast or a snack because of all the added protein, oat flour, and natural sweeteners.
Here’s the thing – I’ve made protein cookies before using protein powder. I’m usually able to choke them down and ignore the fact that they taste like grainy protein powder, but my wife refuses to eat them…
Until this batch!
You can’t even taste the protein! The peanut butter, oats, chocolate, and orange mask all of that.
And to be honest, it’s kind of like eating cookie dough for breakfast. Really.
Another thing – I’ve made plenty of no-bake cookies, and often they will just fall apart because they’re dry and crumbly.
Not these! They stay together. They don’t end up all over your shirt. They’re really quite amazing.
And the best part is that even though Chocolate and Orange is considered a winter flavor combination, you can totally get by with making these all year long!!
[Tweet “These no-bake cookies are full of protein so you can eat them for breakfast!!”]
- zest of one orange, (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar, (or other granulated sweetener you normally use)
- 3 cups oat flour, (rolled oats ground into a flour)
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, (or almond butter)
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup, (agave or honey would work as well)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk*
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine orange zest and coconut sugar. Use the back of a fork to really combine. This will bring out the orange flavor.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, vanilla protein powder, sugar+orange mixture, and salt. Mix well.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the peanut butter and brown rice syrup and heat until melted and mix to incorporate. Approximately 1 minute and 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir until fully combined- Mixture should be crumbly. Add orange juice. Slowly add almond milk, one tablespoon at a time, until a very thick dough is formed. Stir in the dark chocolate chips until fully incorporated.
- Using your hands, form small balls and place on a parchment-lined baking tray. With the back of a glass cup, press balls gently to flatten. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before consuming.
Recipe Adapted from The Big Man's World
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
Looking for more cookie recipes? Check these out from my friends!
Chocolate Mint Cookies | Butter with a Side of Bread
Flourless Triple Chocolate Cookies | Happy Food Healthy Life
Soft Frosted Ginger Spice Cookies | Jamies Cooks It Up
Dipped Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies | Creations by Kara
Vanilla Bean Butter Cookie Recipe | Ashlee Marie
Classic French Macarons with Homemade Nutella | Tried & Tasty
Healthy Peppermint Chia Cookies | Happy Food Healthy Life
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Triangles | Real Mom Kitchen
Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars | Cupcake Diaries
Rolo-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies | Like Mother Like Daughter
Dipped Chocolate Chip Pizelle Cookies | Summer Scraps
Healthy Coconut Cookies | Happy Food Healthy Life
Lemon Swig Style Sugar Cookies | Tried & Tasty
Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies | Cupcake Diaries
Cookies & Cream Cookies | Butter with a Side of Bread
Candy Cane Peppermint Kiss Cookies | Creations by Kara
Chalkboard Cookies | Ashlee Marie
Snicker’s Pretzel Bites | Summer Scraps
Gingerdoodle Cookies | Like Mother Like Daughter
White Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies | Jamie Cooks it Up!
Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookies | Real Kitchen Mom
Hot Chocolate French Macarons | Tried & Tasty
Christmas M&M Cookies | Cupcake Diaries
Cherry Pie Cookies | Butter with a Side of Bread
Strawberry White Chocolate Cookies | Creations by Kara
Brown Sugar Shortbread | Ashlee Marie
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt | Like Mother Like Daughter
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies | Jamie Cooks it Up!
Holiday Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars | Real Kitchen Mom