This Healthy Herb & Garlic Mashed Cauliflower side dish is a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes that will please everyone! It's full of flavor, and no one will even know the difference. Really!
I have to tell you. About 95% of the time I make a recipe, I assume that it won't turn out. Maybe it's from the 10 batches in a row of cookies that I effed up a few years back. Or maybe it's from my years of thinking that healthy food has to taste like flavorless cardboard.
It's always a huge surprise for me when something actually turns out delicious.
And then when it turns out to be outstanding, well, I'm just over the moon giddy.
I've been hearing things about cauliflower mash, and I've wanted to try it. I've made cauliflower crust and a cauliflower sauce but the mash was just something I didn't think would turn out for some reason.
I mean, I knew it would be good. But to compare with mashed potatoes? Can ANYTHING really compare? I think you know the answer to that one.
I felt it was my health-conscious duty to at least give the mashed cauliflower a shot though. And that it exactly what I did. I had no intentions of blogging about it. I basically made it with the intention of disregarding it as anything tasty or worthy of a spot at the holiday table.
And then I had the first bite. I though it had to be a mistake.
So I had a second.
And a third.
And before I knew it, I had eaten half the bowl.
It was THAT good, and I am still in shock.
I WILL be eating this mashed cauliflower on Thanksgiving, and I will be proud to share it with my family as a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium white onion , chopped
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower (approximately one head)
- 1 medium carrot , cut into small slices
- ¼ cup of vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary , chopped
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- salt & pepper , to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add cauliflower, carrot, and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. Add a couple tablespoons of water if the pot becomes to dry before vegetables are cooked. Drain off any liquid.
- Pour cauliflower mixture into food processor or blender. Or if you have an immersion blender, you can just keep it right in the pan. Add butter and all spices and blend until well blended and smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste depending on your preferences.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Yummly, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!
I've never tried Mashed Cauliflower before but it sure does look delicious!