Vegan Ice Cream can totally be creamy, yummy, and refreshing any time of the year. And with this recipe, you can make it happen with only 3 ingredients and without the use of an ice cream maker!
Vegan ice cream has been somewhat of a journey for me over the years. I've probably made 10 different versions of dairy-free ice cream, in hopes of discovering the best method. They've all been different in their own way. Some overly icy. Some hard as a rock. Some the flavor was off. Some grainy. Some that had to be dumped down the drain.
But of course, some of them were yummy and creamy and all around made me forget that they were not made with actual cream!
Let's talk about some of the methods I've tried:
- coconut milk + dairy-free coffee creamer + ice cream maker
- coconut milk + aquafaba (you know, the weird bean water stuff) + ice cream maker
- almond milk + anything = big fail!
One thing I didn't like about these methods was the use of the ice cream maker. Sure, it's a fun gadget to use, but can I tell you how many times I wanted to make and eat ice cream right away only to realize that I didn't have the darn ice cream bowl frozen and ready for me?
Yeah, about 95% of the time that was the case.
So let's talk about why this Vegan Ice Cream recipe is a billion times better.
#1 - no ice cream maker needed!!
#2 - so soft and creamy!!
#3 - only 3 total ingredients! (4 if you count the vanilla extract)
Sure, it has a coconut-y flavor. But you could totally cover that with other add-ins (which believe me, I will be doing!)
- cocoa powder for a chocolate version
- PB powder for peanut butter yums
- mint extract and chocolate chips for a mint chip version
The possibilities are endless!
I personally love putting a hefty scoop on top of my Chocolate Molten Lava Cake. I highly suggest you give that a try!
There is a little bit of prep for this recipe, such as making sure you have 2 cans of coconut milk refrigerated ahead of time (the 3rd can for the vegan condensed milk doesn't need to be cold). Plus making the sweetened condensed milk, but that doesn't have a lot of hands-on time and you can make it up to a week ahead and just have in on hand for when you're ready to get your ice cream on!
You have got to make sure your vegan ice cream game is on point this summer, and the best way to do that is by making this recipe. You will not be sorry!
Make sure to bookmark this recipe to your browser so you're ready to go!
VEGAN ICE CREAM
For Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can coconut milk entire can
- ¼ cup honey (or agave, maple syrup, or brown rice syrup)
For Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut milk full fat, solids only, refrigerated at least 24 hours prior
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Make sweetened condensed milk at least 2 hours before making the ice cream.
- Heat the entire can of coconut milk into a medium saucepan, stirring on occasion. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, stirring and keeping a watchful eye on it.
- Add in the honey and reduce heat to a simmer for 25-30 minutes or until milk has been reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and let cool down, refrigerating once at room temperature.
For ice cream
- In a large bowl, whip together coconut milk solids until smooth and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and mix completely.
- Gently fold in the cooled vegan sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour into a small loaf pan or freezer safe container and freeze for at least an hour for optimal thickness. (see notes)
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes to Try
- Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- Rhubarb Anise Dairy Free Ice Cream
- Creamy Vegan Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!