1 Vegan S'mores Recipe. Served Two Ways. You pick how you want to make, serve, and eat it depending on your mood!
First thing's first. I'm just gonna get it out of the way and let you know that I'm not apologizing for the sheer amount of photos happening in this post. Seriously. I had to cut it down from about 99-billion pics to these few, and that was hard as heck because they're all like my little babies. And what can I say, this dessert is one that is ridiculously photogenic. Wouldn't you agree?
I have to say, I never thought a s'mores recipe would find it's way here on the site since I've really cracked down on the health-factor of things. But my, oh my, did I find a solution!
As you probably know by now, I celebrate those crazy food holidays once a month with some of my blogging friends. We've done waffle day, ice cream day, peanut butter day, and lots more! But I have to admit, when I saw that National S'mores Day was coming up, I thought I'd have to bow out. I couldn't for the life of me come up with something that would fit the healthy bill. And I'm done bending the rules like I've done so many times in the past.
I'm all about REAL ingredients. WHOLE ingredients. NON-PROCESSED ingredients. At least I'm trying my best. I know I'm not perfect and I don't expect anyone else to be either, but I definitely do make a true attempt.
Now maybe you've noticed in the past that I actually have posted a S'mores recipe here. It was my fruit-filled homemade s'mores, and although the marshmallows are homemade from scratch, I have to admit, I do cringe a little every time I see them.
You see - gelatin. I'm not going to go on a full-on animal rights rant because that's not what this is about. But do you know what's in gelatin?
Gelatin is made from the protein of animal by-products such as skin, tendons, ligaments and bones.
Yeah, I'm not really down with that. I see no reason to have animal skin or bones in my marshmallows or jello.
(Hence the reason I had to create a Vegan Marshmallow Recipe! Check it out if you are also not down with animal junk in your mallows.)
So you're probably wondering what the heck this marshmallow looking stuff is, right? Remember last week when I told you all about the awesome vegan whipped cream I made? Well, it turns out it tastes a whole lot like marshmallows, and when you pair it with chocolate and graham cracker, there's no doubt that you've got the flavors of a S'more.
And to my absolute shock, this whipped cream has the ability to be caramelized without melting. It keeps it's shape. Just take a kitchen torch to the whip until it starts to brown and move it lightly to another spot, and you've got a toasted marshmallow s'mores dessert on your hands.... without animal bones.... just sayin'
So as I was making these, I was only planning on making tarts but really didn't want more than two hanging around the house, so I thought of what to do with the remaining ingredients. I looked through my dishes for a cute bowl to place it in so I could dig in later with a spoon. And then I realized... hey, I don't need a big bowl-ful of this goodness. I just need a little taste.
Then I looked one shelf down and saw them... the cute little mini shot glasses I bought from IKEA a few months ago and have been meaning to use. I knew when I bought them that they'd be the home of desserts more often than actual shots.
So that's that. You get to choose. Tarts or shooters.
Just be sure that if you pick shooters, they're on a level surface and you're not as clumsy as yours truly...
[Tweet "1 Vegan S'mores Recipe - Served 2 Ways - You choose how you want it!"]
- 8 Graham Cracker Squares
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil , melted
For Chocolate Pudding
- 1 large ripe avocado , halved, peeled and seeded
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For Vegan Whipped Cream
- water from 1 can white beans (garbanzo or great northern beans), chilled
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (if you are making the tarts - the dessert shooters are no-bake)
- Combine graham crackers and melted coconut oil in a food processor and pulse until combined and the graham cracker crumbs begin to stick together. Stop to feel the crumbs. If they stay together after you press them together, they are ready.
- For tarts: Press into mini tart pans and bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven. Remove and let cool. For shooters, set aside.
- For the pudding. Cut avocado into pieces and put in food processor or blender. Add the cocoa powder, stevia, milk and vanilla and blend until the pudding reaches the desired consistency. Chill for at least ½ hour before assembling dessert.
- For the whipped cream: Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and using the whisk attachment, mix on high for about 14-16 minutes. For the first while, it will appear that nothing is happening, until about 10 minutes in. Then you will see that it's starting to thicken. You can taste it at this point to adjust vanilla and sweetener levels according to your taste. Make the cream right before serving.
- To assemble tarts. On top of cooled crust, place a couple large spoonfuls of chocolate pudding. Top with whipped cream and graham cracker crumbs. With a kitchen torch, brown edges lightly.
- To assemble shooters: Start with 2 small spoonfuls of chocolate pudding in a shot glass. Or you could pipe it with a piping bag. Top with 2 small spoonfuls of whipped cream. Then a large spoonful of unbaked graham cracker mixture. Top again with pudding, whipped cream, and then a sprinkling of graham crackers. Brown lightly with a kitchen torch.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
If you're looking for more S'mores recipes, you're in luck, because I joined forces with my friends to bring you a bunch more! Check them out!
Dairy-Free S'mores Cocktail - Ever feel like you have to choose between cocktails and dessert? Now you don't have to choose!
S'more Whoopie Pies
Chocolate Chip Cookie S'mores
S'mores Muddy Buddies
S'mores Poke Cake
Frozen S'more Cups
Rice Krispie S'mores
Vegan S'mores 2 Ways
/ S'more Bars
S'mores Snack Mix
Chocolate Chip S'more Bars
S'mores in the Oven
No Bake S'mores
S'more Filled Donut
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Yummly, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!