Top your next bagel with a creamy and fruity spread that is actually dairy-free and fresh! Just 4 ingredients and comes together in minutes!
I have a love/hate relationship with bagels.
I love them for the obvious reasons. For one, they’re carbs, and I sure do love my carbs. They’re tasty. You can get them in a million different flavors. Plus, they are the perfect vehicle for a bazillion different toppings.
Cream cheese, fruit, jam, eggs, avocado, salmon. ALL THE THINGS, right?!
But then there’s the hate side of that relationship. Let me tell you what bagels used to be for me.
Bagels used to be my only meal of the day. No joke.
During my extreme dieting days, I had made up all these insane rules for myself in relation to food. In my mind, bagels were one of the most unhealthy foods ever. Especially if you’re gonna top them with yummy cream cheese. But I loved them all the same and craved them like a mad-woman.
So I basically made a deal with myself. I wouldn’t eat breakfast. I would just live on coffee all morning long until around lunch time. And then I would have a bagel with fat free cream cheese slathered on top.
And that would be it.
For dinner I would eat whatever my son didn’t eat off of his plate, but that was it. I had told myself that because it was an unhealthy food, I could have it, but only if I had nothing else because, in my crazy mind, that would just be too much.
Dieting makes you irrational!
Obviously, this is quite the extreme situation, but in what ways are you doing something similar?
- Having to work your butt off the day after eating something you weren’t happy with.
- Only allowing yourself a little bit of lunch or dinner because you know you’re going to eat something indulgent later that night.
- Saying you can have some sweets, but only if you eat salad for days prior.
See a trend? We are giving ourself messages that food is bad. That food is the enemy. That food must be earned. That there are certain requirements for getting to eat sweets or other indulgences.
What if, instead, you chose to eat the foods you loved without any consequences? Without any feeling like you have to repair the damage. Without any need to “prep” your body for those indulgences.
Try it. Try to give yourself permission to eat what your body is craving without any rules attached.
I now love bagels without much of the hate I had previously associated with them. Every time I take a bite into one though, I am sometimes taken back to that crazy diet-y time in my life. Thankfully it’s with memories that I don’t ever want to go back to.
And this time, I’m topping my bagels with this apricot spread that for one, is a million times more delicious than a plain cream cheese. And two, it’s actually healthy and full of plant-based ingredients! Total win!
- 3/4 cup soft tofu (not silken)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup apricots , pitted (about 3-4 small apricots)
- 2 Tablespoons agave (or pure maple syrup, or brown rice syrup)
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender, blending on high until the mixture is smooth and all the cashews. Taste to check the sweetness level, and adjust to your liking.
- Spoon the mixture into an air-tight container and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to use, spread on bagels, toast, or any other baked good of your choice.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a pic and upload it to Instagram, tagging me (@happyfoodholly)! ENJOY!