This tropical paradise smoothie bowl is perfect for when you want the flavors of a smoothie but don’t necessarily want to drink your breakfast. And the flavors will take you right to the beach!
This post originally was shared on Dessert Now, Dinner Later.
Ok, so I don’t know if I’ve told you about my son’s obsession with wanting Icee’s from the Maverick near our house. He asks for one about 80% of the time that we pass the dang place, which is often! And of course, it’s even more so during the summer months when we’re all sweating buckets.
I do have to admit, back before I was educated about REAL food and sugar and basically all the JUNK, I did give in every so often. I made it a “treat” after a good week of school, and then he came to expect it.
And then I started watching documentaries. “Food, Inc.”, “Fed Up,” etc etc. All these documentaries that get me thinking about all the foods we’re putting in our bodies and push me further into a real food, no crap diet.
And unfortunately for my favorite 8 year old, Icee’s are NOT real food.
Thankfully, there is a solution that everyone is happy with.
I know, I know. A smoothie is not the same as an Icee from the gas station. There is nothing that will change that.
But you know what is better? Making it special.
Smoothie bowls are the latest craze in the health-food world, and I think they’re freakin beautiful. Brightly colored smoothies topped with additional fruits, grains, nuts, seeds. All mixed into a powerhouse bowl of health! Now, of course you don’t want to tell your kid about all the health crap because well, then they’ll be craving that Icee even more!
Instead, when your kid begs for ice cream, slurpees, and whatever other sugar-laden snow-cone “treat” they come up with, tell them you have something that’s more exciting and is a billion times more special than that as soon as you get home.
Whip up these ingredients in a blender, top with whatever extra fruit you have on hand, and pass over this bowl of sunshine.
I don’t know about you, but the first time I presented this bowl to my son, he thought it was the coolest thing. It’s better than a smoothie because you can scoop it like ice cream. And it’s better than ice cream because it has more toppings. And you’re smiling inside because it’s better than all the things because it’s full of REAL food!
- 1 scoop, , vanilla protein powder
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 banana, , frozen, plus about a room temperature banana for topping
- 3/4 cup pineapple, , diced, plus more for topping
- 1 orange
- 1 cup mango chunks, , frozen, leaving a few extra for topping
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts for topping
- 1-2 cups of ice
- In a high speed blender, combine the protein powder, chia & flax seeds, banana, pineapple, orange, mango, and water, leaving the extra fruits for topping aside. You want to be sure your smoothie is thick enough to eat with a spoon. Adding more ice and using frozen fruits will make for a thick smoothie.
- Once blended, place in a shallow bowl and top with the fruits and nuts you have set aside. Eat immediately.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
Looking for more healthy breakfast ideas?
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Yummly, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!