Oh what a week this has been! Between my television gig, a 5k run for Boston on Monday, a couple essential oils classes in the evenings, and a horrible stress-related/sleep-deprived headache that sent me home from work on Thursday… I.Am.Spent and so ready for the weekend. Making dinner on Thursday was the last thing on my mind, and I had absolutely no desire to do it.
Thank goodness for the fact that I have been much better about planning meals out on the weekend for the week ahead. One of my absolute least favorite things is to have to figure out what’s for dinner while I’m busy and stressed at work and then have to rush through the grocery store crowd before I make my way to get my son from school. It just adds so much stress to my day-to-day life.
Today, knowing that I had a dinner planned and had all the ingredients at home was such a relieving feeling in my week of stress. And not only was this a meal I had planned but it was so simple, yet packed a whole lot of flavor. I was so happy to be able to get this put together in about 30 minutes, once the rice was finished in the rice cooker. There’s nothing better than a stress-free and quick dinner to top off a crazy week.
- 6-8 flour tortillas
- 2-3 chicken breasts, , shredded or diced (I substituted a soy-based vegetarian chick'n)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 can black beans, , rinsed
- 1/2 green pepper, , diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, , sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, , chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, , shredded
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- juice from one lime
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/3 cup salsa, , to top
- Combine cooked rice, chicken, spices, black beans, cilantro, and lime juice in a medium-sized bowl.
- Heat a large griddle or non-stick pan to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese on a tortilla. Top with about half a cup of rice, bean, and chicken mixture. Top with green peppers, olives, and a dollap or two of sour cream.
- Fold in the ends and roll up the sides.
- Place on the hot griddle and let it grill for about 4-5 minutes or until the bottom of the burrito is slightly browned and crispy. Flip over and grill 4-5 minutes on the other side.
- Once browned and crunchy on each side, serve with salsa.