Looking for a super healthy alternative to your potato chip habit? These roasted chickpeas are the perfect solution and are so addictive! You won’t be able to stop after just one!
The other day, I was looking for a snack. Oh my goodness you guys. Snacking can totally be my worst enemy sometimes. I have to be really careful about the snacks I buy for my son, because if I’m not careful, all his snacks will end up in my belly, he’ll be upset, and I’ll be left wondering how I gained 10 pounds in a week.
For example, we know that Oreos are pretty much not allowed in the house. I tell myself I’ll have the self-control, and a lot of the time, I do. I picture my goals and they don’t involve Oreos. But then out of nowhere, I snap, and the whole package is gone. Every.single.time. So we don’t buy Oreos. Sadface.
Other foods that I just would rather not be left alone with in the house:
Huh. Are you sensing a pattern? Aside from the Oreos, my biggest weaknesses are salty foods. And they’re foods that are SO not going to help me reach my fitness goals. But because I believe in not depriving yourself of foods you enjoy, I’ve decided to make an alternative to these salty foods that will leave me satisfied.
And boy did they! I know Roasted Chickpeas are nothing new if you’ve been around the food-blogging-block. But this is the first time I actually tried them, and I’m totally in love. I mean, I did end up eating almost the entire pan in one sitting, but the great thing about it is that there was absolutely no guilt. I felt completely fine with my indulgence. Granted, I probably could have made my own Ranch seasoning, but that’s for another day and for someone with more time than me. I was in a hurry, I grabbed a packet, and just went about my way.
If you haven’t tried roasted chickpeas yet, you may be a little scared. Don’t be! They’re amazing. Crunchy like somewhere in between a Corn Nut and a peanut. Just enough crunch but not too much to break your teeth and annoy your couch partner while you binge-watch the new Orange is the New Black on Netflix! (eek, who’s excited?!)
- 1 can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil , melted
- 1 packet Ranch dressing mix (or you could make your own)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Once you have drained the chickpeas, go through the beans quickly and remove any loose skins. There's no need to peel all the beans. But the ones that are loose and can be removed easily should be pulled out.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, coconut oil, and ranch seasoning. Coat all over.
- Pour chickpeas out onto the prepared baking sheet and be sure they are in just one layer.
- Cook in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, tossing with a spatula about every 15 minutes, checking to be sure that nothing is burning.
- Once the beans are completely roasted, crunchy, and dark brown in color, remove them from the oven, let cool, and snack on!
Have you tried Roasted Chickpeas?
What are your thoughts on them? Love ’em? Weirded out by them?