These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Energy Bites have all the flavor of a delicious cookie, but are packed full of nutrients to give you the boost you need.
Sometimes when I am finished with a workout, I have a hard time with food. I just worked up a sweat, I feel like I could eat a house, and there’s absolutely nothing already made. So I need quick things. If I’m not careful, those quick things end up being a handful of Oreos while I’m figuring out what to make for dinner. Talk about ruining the workout!
But cookies are just so convenient! And well… yummy…
So I came up with a solution that lets me have my cookies and eat them too!
First of all, I want to talk about our resolutions/goals/whatever you want to call them.
How are yours coming? Are you still sticking to them? Or have you fallen off already? We’re 24 days into the new year, and I’m pretty sure I’ve made a habit out of working out 5-6 times a week. It’s been a long time since I’ve stuck to a schedule like this, and I’m absolutely loving it. Granted it’s some of the hardest work I’ve ever done in my life, but I can see that it’s totally paying off already!
I don’t think I’ve ever worked out so hard in my life. Well, okay, maybe when I was doing Insanity a few years ago, but it’s been awhile. The workout routines I’m doing now seriously kick my butt. I’m constantly tired and pretty much always sore, even a month into this!
With all that hard work, I keep telling myself that I deserve a cookie. But I know that’s just silly talk. I deserve to put food in my body that will fuel those workouts and that will help give me the energy to finish out my day… even though I’d much rather get in bed right after my workouts.
So instead of eating actual cookies after working out, I took all that yummy cookie flavor and combined it with some of the healthiest ingredients out there and made cookie energy bites! Yes ma’am!
So now when I get home from the gym, and my hands are practically grabbing at anything they can (preferably cookie-tasting things) I have been grabbing at these little morsels of deliciousness and don’t feel like I just ruined my freakin’ hard work!
Need other healthy snacks?
- 2 cups quinoa, , cooked (how to perfectly cook quinoa
- 4 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 14 dates, (if not soft, soak in a cup of water for an hour)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter, (homemade peanut butter is best)
- 1 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- Combine the cooked quinoa and chia seeds together in a bowl. Quinoa does not need to cool down in order to begin mixing.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the softened dates, cooked quinoa, and chia together until the date are chopped finally and distributed throughout the quinoa and chia.
- Put mixture back into the bowl and combine with peanut butter and oats.
- Once thoroughly combined, roll into golf-ball-sized bites and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to cool and set. Once cooled, place in an air-tight container or a ziploc bag and store in the fridge for a week. You could also freeze them for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe bag.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
So with today being National Peanut Butter Day, my friends and I thought there was no better way to celebrate than to bring you a collection of some of the best peanut butter recipes. And, you guys, these recipes look amazing! I really want to go make each one right now!
Also, get excited because each month this year, we are going to be celebrating a food holiday by bringing you a collection of recipes to feature that food. You’re totally in for a treat!
Speaking of treats, don’t forget to check out all the recipes below!
Copycat Jamba Juice Chocolate Peanut Butter Moo’d Smoothie – Tried & Tasty
Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting – Cupcake Diaries
Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip – Butter with a Side of Bread
Avalanche Bars – Real Mom Kitchen
Peanut Butter Ice Cream – Ashlee Marie
Chocolate Peanut Butter Poke Cake – Creations by Kara
Peanut Butter Chocolate Pretzel Bars – Summer Scraps
Peanut Butter “Cheese” Ball – Like Mother Like Daughter
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!