So there’s this thing that happens just about every Saturday. I send my son off his dad’s house and my honey off to work, and I am left with the whole day ahead of me. I start with an amazing yoga session, pick up some fresh produce, and then head home to make something fresh and delicious. It’s usually some really amazing egg sandwich or a super delicious smoothie. I take a picture, post it to instagram, and then get a text from my honey. “So you’re eating this amazing lunch without me?! Where’s mine?” Oh, oops!
Sunday morning comes rolling around, and honey brings up the awesome lunch I made for myself the day before, and I’m seriously never in the mood to make anything similar. I don’t know what it is, but Saturday is my day to have fun in the kitchen. Sunday is my day to be lazy. I’m rarely creative with food on Sunday and don’t have much of a desire to do anything but drink coffee and maybe go grab food from somewhere else besides my own kitchen.
But last Sunday, I woke up and decided to be a nice wife and actually give into my honey’s wishes for a delicious brunch. I went through the fridge to see what I had on hand, and I instantly knew that I was going to turn our favorite sandwich into such a delicious breakfasty-lunchy meal. Any time we’re trying to figure out what to make for an easy dinner, we always seem to default to Caprese sandwiches. There’s just something about fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomato. It is just so light and delicious! I couldn’t help but extend the combination into brunch. Combined with scrambled eggs on top of an open-faced pita, with just a light spread of pesto.
Let me just say that it was an absolute hit. And I am now going to be on the hook for making breakfast every Sunday again. Look what I’ve gotten myself into! Such a delicious delicious mess I’m in…
- 3 eggs, , whole
- 3 eggs, , whites only
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- salt & pepper, , to taste
- 1 Morningstar breakfast sausage patty, (optional)
- 1 roma tomato, , diced
- 1 teaspoon coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon pesto
- 1/3 cup fresh mozzarella, , cubed or shredded
- 2 Pita or Flatbread
- In a small bowl, scramble eggs, milk, salt, and pepper with a fork or whisk. Set aside.
- Microwave sausage patty for just about 1 minute, and dice into small bite-sized pieces. Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Once warm, add tomatoes and diced sausage patty saute for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the scrambled eggs on top and let sit for about a minute until the bottom sets up. With a heat-resistant spatula, gently push one edge of the egg into the center of the pan, while tilting the pan to allow the liquid parts of the egg to flow underneath the cooked egg. Repeat with all edges until there is no liquid left.
- Gently stir, careful not to break up the eggs too much. Once liquid is completely cooked, turn off the heat, top with mozzarella, and place a lid on top until cheese is completely melted.
- On two warm pitas, spread pesto evenly. Top with egg mixture and serve with fresh fruit.
Feel free to substitute the Morningstar breakfast patty with actual sausage.