These Nachos with Vegan Cheese and Homemade Chips are the perfect way to satisfy your cravings for comfort food without giving in to the “junk.”
I’ve gotta tell you. I crave nachos all the time. And if it’s not nachos, it’s cheesy fries. And if it’s not cheesy fries, well then it’s probably other appetizers topped with a huge mound of nacho cheese. But I generally say no to such cravings because I know they don’t jive with my desires to be healthy, and then I move on (still thinking about the cheesy deliciousness).
And then I’d day dream about a far-off land that involves all the foods that I crave but full of nutrients and healthy ingredients.
Never did I think there would be a time in my life where I would actually play out my dreams of a healthy version of these ooey gooey nachos just so I could actually indulge in my cravings without feeling guilty.
I’ve talked before about my love of tofu. I don’t like that people are scared of it. I don’t like the association people have of tofu. Because when it comes down to it, tofu is brilliant. Tofu can be whatever you wanted it to be, and this time when Mori-Nu Tofu asked me to try out their tofu, I knew I wanted it to be nacho cheese. That’s right, I knew I was going to find a way to use this silken tofu to make myself a treat that would tame those cravings.
Most of the time when I cook, I use an extra firm tofu, but the use of Mori-Nu’s silken tofu definitely opens so many new possibilities. Using silken tofu allows me to make soft and creamy recipes like cream pies, puddings, and this creamy nacho cheese sauce. Silken tofu is never pressed or drained, which leads to a more creamy and custard-like texture. The one thing I wanted to know though… could I make it taste any good for the nachos I was craving?
And GIRL did I make it taste good! I will preface this with one thing… I am quite used to the taste of healthier/more natural tasting foods. But with that said, this was definitely one of the most delicious flavor-filled cheese-like sauces that I needed to complete my pile of smothered nachos. It was saucy. It was smooth. It was addicting. It left me wanting more and more, yet feeling completely satisfied all at the same time.
As a vegetarian who would be vegan if it wasn’t for the fact that I need to keep the rest of my family members happy, I am thrilled to be able to make creamy dairy-based foods without the cream. Nachos are now in my reach. And the awesome thing is that my wife loved them too!
- 1 yellow onion , roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounces Mori-Nu Silken Tofu
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil , melted
- nacho toppings: tomatoes , salsa, olives, green onions, etc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for the chips.
- Start by making the nacho cheese sauce. Add oil to a saute pan and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is heated, add in your chopped onion and red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Saute vegetables for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once vegetables have softened, stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer your sauteed mixture to a blender. To the blender, also add in the nutritional yeast and tofu. Blend until smooth.
- Cut tortillas into wedges with a pizza cutter and place on a baking sheet. Brush with coconut oil and lightly salt. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and beginning to crisp.
- Once tortillas are baked, arrange on a plate and top with cheese sauce and toppings.
What I love most about Mori-Nu Tofu is that they have a long shelf-life and don’t have to be refrigerated, so I have no problems with stocking up. That way I’ll be all set for nachos whenever I please!
Also, I know a lot of people worry about the GMO issue with tofu, but Mori-Nu tofu is made with non-GMO soy, so there’s nothing to worry about there.
So now that I’ve hopefully sold you on trying out this recipe and other awesome healthy tofu recipes, I’m excited to tell you that you get a chance to win a great package! This is what you could win:
* $100 Visa card
* Mori-Nu Tofu Recipe Book
* 6 packages of assorted Mori-Nu Tofu
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mori-nu. The opinions and text are all mine.