Looking for a yummy summer cheesecake bar but want to lighten it up? These Light Berry Dark Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars are for you!
I’ve got to talk to you about my favorite kind of treats.
Anything in bar form with a crust. Lemon bars. Magic bars. Cheesecake bars. Give me all the bars!
The only problem is the unhealthy crust. Flour, butter, and a good amount of sugar. Sounds delicious and all, but it would pretty much be the only thing I could eat all day! So I decided to put a spin on my favorite treat and give you a healthier option.
First thing’s first. That crust had to be overhauled. I went with my favorite go-to-healthy crust. It’s the same one I used on my Lightened Up Coconut Caramel Ice Cream Pie, and I’m a bit obsessed with it. It’s nutty. It’s sweet without added sugar. It’s just fantastically amazing and I want to top all the things on it!
I knew a lightened-up cheesecake would be a great choice.
And because it’s national chocolate chip day, and I love celebrating all those fun food holidays, I just had to add a whole bunch of scrumptious chocolate chips. Well, and because of all those healthy antioxidants, I opted for dark chocolate chips.
The other twist I had to put on these bars was something that you’d never know just by looking at these gems. They look like plain ole’ cheesecake right? Well, let me assure you, there is nothing plain about these. The addition of berry sauce brings on a ton of flavor to these bars.
[Tweet “How about a Cheesecake Bar without all the calories?! These are a must-have!”]
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, (here are full instructions on how to cook quinoa)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4-5 dates, , pitted
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 cup mixed berries, (i used blueberries and raspberries)
- 1 8 ounce package reduced fat cream cheese, , softened (do not use fat free)
- ¾ cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 + 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, , divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 pan with foil.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients for the crust. Pulse food processor until all ingredients come together and start to form a dough.
- In a blender, blend together berries until you have a sauce. Push sauce through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl to separate the seeds.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine softened cream cheese, berry sauce, and greek yogurt until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla extract, and whole wheat flour. Mix until just combined. Add the 2 egg whites and mix until completely incorporated.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips.
- Pour cheesecake mixture over the crust and bake for about 20-24 minutes, or until middle of cheesecake has set.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top of the cheesecake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let cool to room temperature on a cooling rack and continue to cool in the refrigerator for at least another 2-3 hours.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
Check out these amazing Chocolate Chip Recipes from my friends!
Gluten Free Cookie Dough Blizzard – Tried & Tasty
Easy Chocolate Chip Scones – Ashlee Marie
Homemade Chocolate Chip Graham Crackers – Happy Food Healthy Life
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake – Creations by Kara
Eggless Cookie Dough for Two – Like Mother Like Daughter
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – Cupcake Diaries
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – Butter with a Side of Bread
Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars – Jamie Cooks it Up!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats – Happy Food Healthy Life
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes – Cupcake Diaries
Vanishing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies -Real Mom Kitchen
Chocolate Chip Bagels – Ashlee Marie
Dark Chocolate Almond Cookies – Happy Food Healthy Life
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins – Creations by Kara
White Chocolate Coconut Cookies – Jamie Cooks it Up!
Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies – Butter with a Side of Bread
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream – Like Mother Like Daughter
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Yummly, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!