Yes, you read that right. I am posting a recipe for butter. I know that’s kind of ridiculous. For one, I claim to have a sense of health. Secondly… butter? How random is that?!
First we’ll address the random factor. These days, now that my kiddo has been spending Monday-Friday with his dad, the desire and drive to cook dinner is down the drain. So the other night, when Tiff and I had no desire to come up with something for dinner, we randomly decided that we wanted bran muffins. The kind her mom used to make when she was a kid. If you stick around the rest of the week, I may even have a recipe for that gem. Anyway, so bran muffins it was. But we wanted to put something delicious on top. But we needed protein too. There was a dilemma… until Tiff said.. “Hey, what if you put protein in your butter?! Do you think that would work??” Huh… that thought had never crossed my mind, but I was willing to give it a shot. So the experimenting began, and with the first try, it was a hit! Sweet honey butter with a bit of vanilla from the protein. And knowing that the fat of the butter is at least balanced out by the protein a little bit. How genius! Seriously, I’m so glad I keep my wife around!!
Secondly.. yes, I know it’s butter. I know that’s not necessarily healthy. But if you’ve been around long enough, you know my philosophy on cutting foods out of your diet. It’s just not smart. If a specific food makes you happy, don’t get rid of it. Eat it in moderation. No, I don’t eat sticks of butter. But on my bran muffin, a touch of butter was exactly what it needed.
Think of all the things you could add a mini boost of protein to? Waffles and Pancakes. Muffins, Toast, and English Muffins. How cool is that?!
So that is how this completely random recipe was created. What do you think of it? Is it totally bizarre? Do you think you would try it out yourself? I personally think it’s a genius idea, but I’m a little biased.
- 2 sticks of butter, , cold
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup of milk, (regular, almond, or soy)
- Combine vanilla protein powder and milk in a small bowl. Mix together and let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Don't worry about the foul smell coming from this bowl. Protein smells pretty nasty, but I promise it doesn't not carry on into the recipe!
- Combine butter and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium high, gradually adding protein mixture and honey. Once all ingredients are combined, it's possible that everything will start to separate. This is normal. Just continue to mix, and within about five minutes or so, the butter will come back together and form a whipped butter.
- Enjoy on muffins, breads, pancakes, etc.