Okay, I wasn’t going to do it. No one wants to talk about the weather. That’s what old ladies do while they sit on their porch in rocking chairs, trying to find relief from a homemade fan. I’m not that lady. But I’m still going to talk about the weather because it’s brutal here in Salt Lake. We’ve been in the 100’s the last few days, and there is no relief in sight. I have a very small range of comfort when it comes to temperature. Anywhere from 70 to 80, and I’m golden. Utah’s extreme temperatures are just not comfortable to me, and I am bound to complain most of the summer and winter months.
But there is one thing that’s in the cards when it comes to these hot temperatures. It means it’s time for campouts, BBQ’s, summer parties, and late nights around the fire pit. These are the nights we look forward to all year long. Nights when the sun has gone down and there is a bit of relief from the heat. Nights where stories are being told and laughter is running high. Nights where there are no calories in the food cooked over a campfire. Nights where nothing else matters besides enjoying the company around you.
When you think about the food of summers, there’s hamburgers and hot dogs, all sorts of grilled veggies and even fruits, and for dessert… well, there’s just nothing better than s’mores while sitting around the fire. But can I tell you something about the classic s’more? Their crunchiness is annoying as hell. They fall apart. They’re all over your lap. It’s just a mess. A mess that I have a solution for!
Homemade Graham Crackers! They have a slight crunch on the edges, but they’re all-together softer and easier to eat. Combined with your melty marshmallows, this is an absolute hit! Oh, and as if graham crackers weren’t already delicious as is… how about mini chocolate chips mixed up in there? Yup, I made it happen.
Before you head out to your next BBQ or campout, you are going to want to whip up a batch of these soft, made-at-home tasting, chocolate chip graham crackers. They’re easy, and in case you’re asking yourself… YES, they are absolutely worth it!
Stay tuned throughout this week to see what I do with these Homemade Chocolate Chip Graham Crackers!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for working
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup untoasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened (2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons high-quality honey
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flours, wheat germ, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put butter, brown sugar, and honey into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour mixture, and mix until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface, and divide into quarters. Roll out each piece between 2 sheets of floured parchment paper into rectangles a bit larger than 9 by 6 inches, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a fluted pastry wheel, trim the outermost edges of each rectangle, and divide into equal-sized squares. Stack parchment and dough on a baking sheet and chill in freezer until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Remove two sheets of dough from freezer. Pierce crackers using the tines of a fork. Transfer to large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake, rotating halfway through, until dark golden brown, 8 to 9 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough. Let cool on sheet 5 minutes; transfer crackers to wire racks to cool completely.
adapted from Martha Stewart