If you like this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or StumbleUpon with the buttons above!
These healthy and flavorful lettuce cups are the perfect recipe for busy evenings when there isn’t much time to get dinner on the table. Packed full of flavor. Tons of nutrients. Total win!
Let me just tell you. Life is too damn crazy to spend more than 30 minutes on dinner, and yesterday was no different. In fact, yesterday is the reason why this post isn’t going live at its normal 5am time slot.
Oh well. You still love me, right?
please say yes…
Ok, now that we have that out of the way.
Yesterday called for a quick and easy dinner that I could throw together in under 30 minutes.
First thing’s first. My day started out with a headache, getting in the way of my normal workout time. Totally annoying and threw my day off trying to baby my head and get rid of the pain behind my eyes.
Once it finally went away, I got on with my day. A little laundry. A little budgeting. A little writing. A little email.
I was in the groove, and then BOOM!
I got a phone call from my son that he had cracked a tooth… fan-freakin-tastic.
So here’s how the remainder of the day went:
- mad dash to get the dog settled and in her crate so I could get to my kid
- frantically calling the dentist on the way to school hoping to get kid in for an emergency appointment, as I’m a mama that freaks out and assumes the worst of all situations
- getting to the kid and not being able to see any crack at all, despite the fact that at least 5 adults at school said they saw it was cracked… so i went with it convincing myself i could see a crack
- kid is in minimal pain
- drive across town to dentist appointment
- dentist says we’re crazy. no crack. super loose tooth and permanent tooth coming in, causing the pain… (fantastic, mama looks like a lunatic)
- off to the drug store for orajel cause kid is complaining about pain
- kid’s messing with tooth and within 5 minutes of me sitting down to get back to work, he comes in with blood-filled tissues to his mouth
“half of my tooth broke off!”
- kid hates blood so he’s freaking out
- it’s apparent that there was a crack in the tooth because only half came off while the rest just stayed secured to his gums…
- but kid is still freaking out… because blood…
- should be making dinner now
- spend next hour trying to get rest of tooth out and kid calmed down
- dinner’s gonna be late
Thank goodness I’m the master at simple recipes!
Cause woah. I was about 2 seconds away from calling in a pizza delivery order, but I knew I could pull it off with these super easy lettuce cups.
I had actually already cut up all the veggies before heading to work in the morning, so I was super prepped and ready to just throw everything into the skillet and make magic happen.
I literally think it only took a total of 20 minutes to get it all cooked and onto plates, so it was a major win for me…
Despite the fact that I looked like a lunatic only hours prior…
So the next time you know you have a busy day and not much time to make dinner, this the recipe for you. Of course, you can always serve it on a bed of quinoa or brown rice instead of lettuce cups. Whatever floats your boat.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , cut into slices
- 2 8- ounce packages of tempeh , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium carrots , julienned
- 1 yellow pepper , cut into strips
- 1 zucchini , diced
- 2 cups pineapple , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 12-15 lettuce leaves
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions to olive oil and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until soft, not quite translucent. Add in the pieces of tempeh, carrots, pepper, and zucchini. Cover and let steam cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are cooked through but still have a slight crunch.
Add in the pineapple and barbecue sauce, stirring to coat all veggies. Heat until warmed through.
Serve in lettuce cups and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly