This Grilled Black Bean & Corn Salad is the perfect way to enjoy your favorite grilled flavor while keeping to your health goals.
I am so happy we have finally found our way to warmer weather. Blazing sunshine. I sure do love it a lot more than the cold and snowy days. A hot car waiting for me after spending 8 hours in a freezing cold office. That’s what it’s all about (well until you leave the top layer of skin from your hand on your steering wheel because it’s so dang hot). No but really, I’ll take capris and shorts over slush-drenched jeans any day!
You know what I’m not into though? Turning the dang oven on and trying to cook my way through summer. I want nothing more than to eat salad for every single meal from about May through September. The thing is, I cannot get my 7 year old to make a meal out of a salad. Sure, he will manage a side salad, but that’s about the extent of it. So how do we make our worlds collide while trying to keep the kitchen as cool as possible?
Obviously, switching on the grill is the first step. Grilled corn on the cob is a definite favorite around here, for both my kiddo and myself. I can easily serve that alongside a grilled veggie burger for him. For me, I make something a little lighter and more refreshing for my grown-up tastebuds.
Honestly, I’m still dreaming about this salad. I ate it for about 4 days and I never wanted it to end. There’s no need for a dressing because of the avocado and lime juice. It’s just perfection. The charred corn brings on the taste of summer. The radishes bring an added kick to the plate. All in all, this salad is everything I could ever ask for during the summer. And I’m not left feeling like I missed out on all the yummy grilled food just because I want to eat healthier!
- 4 ears fresh corn, , shucked
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, , melted
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 15- ounce cans black beans, , rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch radishes, , trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, , sliced
- handful chopped cilantro
- 2 avocados, , thinly sliced
- extra fresh lime juice
- Preheat a grill to medium. Add the corn and grill until charred in spots, turning periodically, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, lime juice, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Using a large, sharp knife, carefully cut the corn kernels from the cobs and transfer to the bowl.
- Add the beans, radishes, green onions, and cilantro. Toss well.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top with the avocado and a few squeezes of lime juice.
Adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine, June 2012