I partnered up with Ricola® as a part of an ongoing series with SocialStars to bring you these magical ways to love yourself this Valentine’s Day. #swissherbs
Show yourself some major love on Valentine’s Day this year with these awesome gifts for you. Plus, you’re going to get a super quick 5-minute recipe for the best dark chocolate recipe ever!
Valentine’s Day. The day of love. The day of couplehood. The day of all things red, pink, chocolate, and roses. The day that either makes you feel lucky in love because your honey sent you flowers or down in the dumps because you haven’t quite found the love of your life (or because your honey failed on the gift-giving situation). There’s nothing worse than being the only chick in the office that doesn’t have a huge bouquet on her desk come Valentine’s Day. I’ve been there!
Here’s the thing though. Valentine’s Day doesn’t always have to be about being coupled up. There are so many other ways to celebrate this commercialized holiday (hello Hallmark!) without focusing on relationships. In fact, you can be completely 100% single and still have a freakin’ awesome day (that totally includes gifts for you).
I am a huge believer in the power of self-love. Loving yourself is just as, if not more, important than being loved by someone else.
Loving yourself will give you confidence so you’ll walk into a room like you own the place. Loving yourself will give you self-respect so you won’t put up with any jerk-faces. Loving yourself will give you motivation to nourish your body with real foods and healthy exercise.
So what exactly does loving yourself look like? What are some ways you can really feel amazing about yourself? Let’s jump right in and get to the fun stuff!
Gifts for you to show yourself love on Valentine’s Day
Give Yourself a Pamper Day
Whether it’s an at-home pamper day that you put together yourself or you go to a spa and have someone else pamper you, it doesn’t make a difference. It is all just delicious and wonderful to make the day all about you and feeling good and relaxed. Do what you can with the resources you have available to you and just enjoy a day of feeling loved.
These are my favorite ways to feel pampered:
- Take a relaxing bubble bath
- Watch your favorite show or a movie you’ve wanted to see on Netflix (or Hulu, or Amazon Prime, or whatever you watch things on these days)
- Pick up a fancy latte that you wouldn’t normally order
- Enjoy a quality and delicious treat (like the homemade dark chocolates down below)
- Either get your nails done at a salon or do them yourself at home. Or maybe you and a friend can join forces and do each other’s nails. That way, you’re saving money but still getting pampered by someone else.
- Grab a few magazines that you don’t normally have time to read and go to town
Exercise & Move Your Body
By exercising and moving my body, I am showing it a ton of physical love. I am showing it that I care. I am showing myself that I want to live a long life. I’m showing myself that I care to thrive and stay active for many years to come.
To make your exercise even more special today:
- Do an exercise you love. What’s that one exercise you would pick over and over again? Is it yoga? Dancing in your living room? Kick-boxing? Know what it is and make it happen!
- Wear an outfit that makes you feel awesome. Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to go pick up a pair or leggings or a tank top that just makes you feel amazing. Or do you already have a pair of workout capris that totally makes your booty look amazing so you feel super confident? You betta’ be rockin’ those today!
Make a Little Gift Basket for Yourself
Girrrrlll. There is no reason why you have to wait for someone else to send you gifts on Valentine’s Day, or any day for that matter. I’ll tell you from experience that it often leads to disappointment in the end. So avoid the heartbreak and just go buy yourself the things you want to receive anyway. Nothing major. Just a couple little trinkets to show yourself some love.
- Chocolates – quality dark chocolate are the best (more on that in a second!)
- Yummy lip gloss – you know you feel amazing when your lips just look good. And really – can a girl have too much lip gloss? I say no way, jose!
- Nail polish & nail files – To go along with your nail day, why don’t you just pick up a smokin’ red hot nail polish to brighten those digits up.
- Energizing mints – Who doesn’t like to have fresh breath?! I personally love Ricola’s Extra Strength Glacial Mint drops because they’re so soothing, powerful, and fight off any hint of a winter cough I may have brewing up.
- Cute pens – I don’t know about you, but I am a complete sucker for cute pens that make writing lists and planners so much more fun.
- Anything else you just love and gotta have!
Call in Well
Say what? You want me to call in to work well? That’s right. Most days when you call in, you’re stuck sick in bed, and that is no way to spend a day away from work. There’s a reason for those personal days… to use them! They aren’t just for out-of-state vacations. They are for whatever personal time you need, and in this instance, it is time to celebrate your health and your well-being by taking a day off and calling in well.
- Take the day for yourself to just feel free!
- Celebrate your health
- Days off don’t have to be sick days
Ricola is actually hosting a “Call in Well Sweepstakes” that you have got to enter. Seriously, you could win a trip to Switzerland, which is where Ricola’s unique blend of herbs originated. Or a $500 prize! That could add up to a whole lot of pampering and self-love, don’t you think?! Make sure you enter here to get in on the chance to win!
If I was calling in well, I can guarantee that my day would include chocolate. Chocolate is my absolute saving grace. I’m not talking about any old chocolate here, but a quality 70% or higher dark chocolate. One square. Ok, sometimes two. But really, that’s all I need. Just a square to get me through some of my biggest sweet-tooth cravings.
Wanting ice cream? A square of dark chocolate is sweet enough to do the trick. How about a slice of cake? Try a square of dark chocolate and see if the craving is still there. 95% of the time, the craving is completely gone. All I needed was a bit of sweetness to calm the cravings.
Don’t get me wrong. Sometimes, I dig into cake and cookies, but I know it’s not the healthiest option to do that often. So dark chocolate it is.
That is why I made you these cute little dark chocolate mounds that are perfect for a day of self-love. A little sweet. A little spicy from the cinnamon and cayenne. And a LOT of yum!
- 12 ounces quality dark chocolate (over 70%)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- dash or two of cayenne (optional)
- dried fruits and berries (I used dried cranberries, blueberries, and cherries)
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth and completely melted. Mix in cinnamon and cayenne, adding more or less to your desired taste.
- On a parchment-paper-lined baking tray, spoon chocolate into 1 1/2 - 2-inch circles. Only spoon out a few at a time, adding a few of the dried fruits and berries on top of the chocolate before spooning out a few more. You don't want the chocolate to set up before you have a chance to top with berries.
- Once all the chocolate rounds are spooned out and topped, place in the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes. Once completely set, pop the chocolate off the parchment paper and store in a container in the fridge for at least 30 days.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture, upload it to Instagram and tag me (@happyfoodholly) and use the hashtag #inspiredbyholly
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Yummly, or StumbleUpon with the buttons below!