There’s this thing that happens when I’m trying to come up with the perfect recipe to share with you. I have all these plans to make something healthy and substantial. A sandwich. A salad. Something with a lot of vegetables. But then I go down the candy aisle and come across the dark chocolate and it’s all downhill from there. Ok, well, it’s not really all that bad is it?
This is what happened. This week on Facebook, I asked what type of recipe you wanted to see on the blog this week. The response I got was that you were sick of all the junk from the fourth of July, and it was time to get back in gear. Less S’mores. More greens. So that was the plan. Up until mid-week when I came across Blue Diamond’s Dark Chocolate Almonds at the grocery store. Right then and there, I had to call my wife to help me brainstorm. What healthy snack could I make with these delicious gems? I’ve seen energy bites all over Pinterest, and I’ve always wanted to experiment with them, but I’ve just never gotten to it. I knew these almonds would be perfect all chopped up and scattered throughout these bites.
Let me tell you about these amazing bites of heaven. You’ve had quinoa by now, right? Quinoa is a complete protein that will both fill you up and give you a ton of energy. If you’ve had it, you’ve probably only had it in salads or warm savory dishes, like this one. But did you know that you could turn it into something sweet? I don’t know about you, but my sweet tooth goes crazy in the afternoons. I’m always craving chocolate, and half the time that leaves me hanging around the candy dish in my co-worker’s office. On top of that, afternoons are the worst for trying to stay awake and productive at work! Wouldn’t it be so great if I just had one of these energy bites to get me through the afternoon?! Don’t worry, they don’t taste like a ball of grains or anything healthy. They taste like a treat. They take care of your cravings, and you won’t even realize that you’re eating good-for-you-food.
Blue Diamond Almonds didn’t contact me to ask me to talk about their product, so this is 100% my own will, and I just have to say it. These Dark Chocolate Almonds are absolutely amazing. By the handful. On top of my morning oatmeal or parfait. And especially chopped up in these Dark Chocolate Almond Energy Bites. I will be keeping these wonderful almonds in my pantry and in my snack drawer at work, that’s for sure!
So there you have it: You ask for healthy. I can’t stay away from dark chocolate. We compromise, and it’s a Win-Win!
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2/3 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds, , roughly chopped
- Combine almond butter, peanut butter, and honey in a small saucepan. On medium heat, melt the mixture down to a thick liquid-like state, stirring constantly. Once melted down, remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine cooked quinoa, oats, chia seeds, and chopped dark chocolate almonds in a large bowl. Add the almond butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Once completely combined, take about 2 Tablespoons of mixture at a time and squeeze tightly in your hands before rolling into round bites. Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. When mixture is all rolled out, place in the freezer to set up.
- About twenty minutes before eating, take out of the freezer to soften slightly.
Instead of Blue Diamond's Dark Chocolate Almonds, feel free to use chopped almonds and raw cacao nibs. When rolling the bites in your hands, get your hands wet every couple bites and they won't stick quite as badly.