These Cranberry & White Chocolate Cheerio and Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect holiday twist on a classic favorite. Perfect for classroom treats or even neighbor gifts!
I absolutely love making neighbor gifts during the holidays. Whether it’s a plate full of cookies or a small token gift, I just enjoy giving… even if I never even see my neighbors or know them by name. I feel like neighborly friendships are a thing of the past. At least in the neighborhood I live in. I remember growing up, my parents knew the surrounding neighbors. I was friends with all the kids that lived nearby. There was no issue with me saying I was going down the street to so-and-so’s house to play.
Life is so different now.
In my neighborhood, the only time we seem to come together is during the summer when we happen to meet people at the pool. Other than that, we are all cooped up in our homes. None of us have front-facing porches to sit out on – all back-patios – not very conducive to saying hi to your neighbor walking down the street.
How am I supposed to get to know the parents so my kid can go play with their kids? Do parents these days just let their kids play in the streets and yards of families they don’t know? I don’t know how it all works. I feel like it was much simpler back when I was a kid. But isn’t that the case in all aspects?
So neighborly Christmas gifts are my way of bridging the gap. Even if it’s the only time I reach out and stop by their house, it’s at least something. Even if it’s not until next December that I knock on their door once again with a plateful of cookies. I will at least be happy with the small amount of holiday cheer I attempted to spread in my neighborhood.
This year, it’s a twist on a classic. Everyone loves rice krispie treats. I just decided to take them up to the next level by adding some holiday mix-in’s and an additional cereal for a different texture.
One of my favorite holiday cookies is the cranberry white chocolate chip cookie. Or there’s the Cranberry Bliss bars from Starbucks. They all bring me right to the holidays. So I knew I had to bring these flavors into my rice krispie treats before packaging them up to send out to the neighbors.
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 3 cups rice cereal
- 2 cups cheerios
- 2 10.5 bags mini marshmallows, , divided
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over the stove. Add 1 1/2 bags of the marshmallows, setting the other half bag aside. Allow the marshmallows to melt completely, stirring often.
- Once melted, take off heat and add both cereals, coating completely.
- Mix in the remaining 1/2 bag of marshmallows and cranberries, stirring to disperse completely. Once most everything is combined, add the white chocolate chips and mix quickly. You don't want to add the white chocolate too soon or it will all get melty.
- With the help of a rubber spatula coated in coconut oil or nonstick spray, transfer the mixture into a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with parchment paper. Push cereal down so it's even on top. Allow to come to room temperature before cutting and serving or packaging.
I’d like to know – do you make neighbor gifts? Are you close to your neighbors?