These refreshingly delicious Coconut Mango Popsicles will please both the kids and adults in your summertime festivities. Make one boozy batch and the other without!
Well, we’ve finally done it. We have finally made it to summer vacation, and I no longer have a first grader. My guy has made it through the first grade with flying colors. I asked him what he was going to miss the most about school now that it is summer?
I offered, “friends? your teacher?”
“no. I’ll miss science.”
Ah, my intelligent boy, of course you will.
We’ve been so lucky this year for Xander to have been given a wonderful teacher who fuels his desire to learn about everything science-related. Animals, weather, planets. All of it.
As summer vacation begins, I am a bit saddened that I’m not able to give my kiddo a “real” summer vacation like I remember growing up. Sleeping in, watching cartoons, and then playing outside the entire day until it got dark outside. That’s what I love and remember about summers during my childhood. For Xander, he will still have to wake up at 6:30 in order to get to his grandma’s house for the day while I work for 8 hours. It makes me sad that this is the reality and that I can’t spend hours and hours with him doing fun summer things. Sidewalk chalk. Trips to the pool. Playdates with friends. And of course fun science experiments. Maybe one day things will change, but until then, I’ll just have to do my best to make it up to him with summer-time treats like this one.
These Coconut Mango Popsicles are absolutely to die for. They have summer written all over them, and the awesome thing is that you can make one batch kid-friendly, and a second batch for the grown-ups with a little coconut rum! The thing is, I don’t even like mangoes that much. But they are one of Xander’s favorite foods ever, and of course, I do aim to please. My wife told me about another variety of mangoes that I had never heard of – ataulfos. They’re smaller, less seedy, less fibrous, and a lot sweeter. I’m a big fan of these. And for only 87 cents each at the grocery store, I can’t complain one bit!
So pick your mangoes, or ataulfos, grab your rum (or not), and mix up these super easy summer popsicles. They have Super-Mom written all over them!
Because this is the right thing to do: If you opt for the alcoholic version, please do so responsibly. Alcohol does not freeze out or anything like that. This is considered an alcoholic treat and should only be consumed by responsible adults over the age of 21.
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk, (I used Silk brand, unsweetened coconut milk)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut rum, (optional) (I used Calico Jack coconut rum)
- 1 1/2 cup mango, , pureed (approx 2 large mangoes or 3 smaller ataulfos)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and sugar until combined.
- If you decide to make an alcoholic version, add the coconut rum at this point. Mix well until all combined. Otherwise, skip this step and move onto the next.
- Pour coconut milk mixture into popsicle molds, and fill about half-way full. Add about spoonful or two of the pureed mango to each popsicle, and top with a small remaining splash of coconut milk mixture.
- If you'd like, use a knife or skewer to swirl mango throughout the popsicle mold for even distribution. Or just keep it as is. Your preference. I personally like more coconut (and booze) flavor than mango, so I opted for more of a burst of mango in one concentrated area, but it's totally up to you.
- Once the molds are filled, add the popsicle sticks and place in your freezer for at least 2 hours, or until completely set.
- To remove popsicles, run warm water over the mold and pull gently, wiggling the stick from side to side.
If you opt for the alcoholic version, please do so responsibly. Alcohol does not freeze out or anything like that. This is considered an alcoholic treat and should only be consumed by responsible adults over the age of 21.