You are probably wondering what coconut brownie bites and being good enough have in common at all. That is definitely a valid question. Maybe it’s a bit of sleep-deprived delirium. Maybe it’s just that my life is such a disarray that I can barely even think straight. Maybe you’ve noticed that I haven’t posted anything all week up to this point (chances are though, you’ve been too busy gawking at all the yummy Valentine’s Round-ups, like this one, to even notice).
But really, I haven’t felt inspired. I haven’t felt like anything I wanted to bake was good enough. My jumbled thoughts didn’t seem like good enough. I was too overwhelmed to come up with anything that was good enough. So I just went through the last feel days feeling not good enough, when it hit me.
I was taken back to last weekend at the Build Your Blog Conference I attended. I sat almost directly in front of one of the most inspirational women I have ever heard speak. Meg Johnson. She was the keynote speaker at the conference, and her words are still following me throughout this week.
“You are good enough. Every little thing you do is good enough.”
I was looking at my not-so-pretty brownies and thinking I should just dump them. And I wasn’t coming up with anything inspiring to say about brownies. I haven’t been in the Valentine’s mood because my wife is away. I was just feeling not good enough.
Let me tell you something. I am good enough! These brownies will be good enough for you, especially if you’re in a hurry for something to treat your loved ones this Valentine’s Day. The thing is, they may not be pretty, but you will pop them in your mouth so fast that you won’t even realize what they looked like.
There’s nothing like a mediocre recipe to remind you of an important life-lesson. Who would have thought I would have found it in my ugly brownies? I was so inspired to make something of these brownies that I even re-did the first
really crappy good enough photoshoot and vowed to do it better. And what do you know – I kind of love these ugly brownies a little bit now!
And I’m sure you will too!
- 1 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low fat sweetened condensed milk (I used Eagle Brand)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray non-stick spray on your individual-heart-mould pan (any other shape will work) and set aside.
- Melt 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1/2 stick butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring. Off the heat whisk in 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Whisk in 2 eggs, one at a time, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Add batter to prepared baking pan and bake in preheated oven for 11-13 minutes, until toothpick in one of the center cavities comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from moulds and topping with coconut topping.
- While brownie bites are cooling, mix all Coconut Topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once brownies are cooled completely, run a knife around the bites and pop them out of their mold.
- Top each bite with about a Tablespoon of coconut topping and enjoy!