Hey there, Friday! If you’ve been around for awhile, you know that I could be sharing anything from cookies and brownies to smoothies and vegetarian meals. I’m all over the board when it comes to food, and that is because I truly love all of it. While I try to make mostly healthy choices, I never restrict myself from the foods I enjoy eating. After 13 years of battling an eating disorder and telling myself I wasn’t allowed to eat certain foods, I have now moved past that mindset, and I am able to enjoy foods without the shame and guilt I used to feel. I originally shared this awesome recipe over at Bakerette, where I’m a monthly recipe contributor. I couldn’t go without sharing this deliciousness with you too though!
Today’s recipe combines two of my favorite things in the entire food-world. Anyone who knows me well, knows my obsession with coconut. That’s right – anything coconutt-y flavored or scented, and I am all over it. From my coffee creamer to my body wash. I just gotta have it. Because of this, my favorite candy bar has always been Almond Joy. Oh my goodness, what is the only thing that could get better than coconut? Gooey coconut surrounded by a layer of chocolate! There is just nothing better.
Oh wait! It’s possible that I did come up with something better, and that is to combine another favorite of mine… Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Rolls… with the combination of coconut and chocolate, and maybe a hint of almond. Now that is a marriage my tastebuds would be happy with!
These rolls – yes, they are the kind of rolls that require two hours of rising… but wait! Don’t click away yet! Think of what could be done in those two hours! You could wash the dishes. You could play a rousing game of Monopoly with your kids. You could reorganize your closet. Or well, you could just
waste time become inspired on Pinterest to do all the cleaning, playing, and reorganizing at another time. Isn’t it so true though? We pin all these awesome cleaning and organizing tips and tricks that it almost starts to feel like we’re actually doing the cleaning! Maybe that’s why my house is still a wreck.
Anyway, I think I got off track. What I completely meant to say is that these rolls are comPLETEly worth the wait. Heck, I’d probably wait 4 hours for these rolls. Any more than that, and I’d just go to the store and buy an Almond Joy candy bar and call it good. If you’re looking for a roll that is so ooey gooey messy that you must eat it with a fork, THIS is the recipe for you! They’re messy, they’re super duper rich, and they’re basically dessert for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner). Sounds like MY kind of thing!
Without further ado, I’m so excited to share my Almond Joy Rolls with you!
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons baking yeast
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter , softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 Tablespoon butter , softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, stir together the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. While this is resting, mix together the softened butter and cocoa powder, and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the coconut and sweetened condensed milk.
- Add the flour and salt to the yeast, and stir until a dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 3-5 minutes. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, until it is approximately the size of a cookie sheet. Spread the butter and cocoa mixture on dough and top evenly with chocolate chips. Layer coconut mixture on top.
- Roll up the dough and cut into rolls about ½ inch thick. Place buns in an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish. Cover with cloth and let rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While baking, mix together your cream cheese, butter, coconut extract, and powdered sugar to make your icing. Slather warm cinnamon rolls in this delicious icing.