Two years ago, from the time of writing this post, I was living a very sick life. A life full of weakness, depression, and all-around sadness. A life where I was unable to do many of the things that I love about my life today. I didn’t see any hope. I had a hard time getting from one day to the next, and I just wasn’t sure if life was worth beating my eating disorder for. I am here to tell you that it 100% is!
Life is beautiful on the other side of an eating disorder. Life recovered from my eating disorder has been the sunshine that I have missed in all my many cloudy days for 14 years prior. Now recovered, life is full of motivation, happiness, and accomplishment.
If you suffer from an eating disorder, you know that there are many things that you physically and emotionally just cannot do. Something as simple as walking up the stairs may be difficult because your heart is so weak. Something like going to a family dinner may be full of anxiety, when you should be focusing on the time with family instead of the food situation. I want you to know that life doesn’t have to be this way.
Let me show you 30 things I am now able to do that I wasn’t able to do when I was sick and in the confines of my eating disorder.
1. run more than 30 seconds straight (even up to a 5k!)
2. eat dinner with my family
3. order food at a restaurant
4. have a down day without it completely ruining me
5. think about my future with hope
6. consider expanding our family
7. try on clothes without freaking out
8. walk up stairs without my heart pounding
9. manage my headaches
10. go more than 2 weeks without getting sick
11. hold yoga poses for long periods of time
12. go to food-involved functions without anxiety
13. hold my liquor
14. teach my son healthy habits by example
15. transition through chaturanga dandasana to updog (yoga)
16. stay awake later
17. have better, more confident, intimacy with my spouse
18. feel motivated to be the best person I can be
19. keep snacks in the house without worrying when my next binge on them would be
20. bake delicious treats for my family without freaking out about the leftovers
21. make healthy dinners for my family that we can all enjoy
22. not feel the need to hide every inch of my skin at all times
23. feel confident when I leave the house every day
24. commit to a healthy lifestyle
25. go on hikes without worrying about passing out (instead I’m RUNNING up the mountain!)
26. eat around other people without shame
27. talk about my eating disorder openly – because I’m SO proud of how far I’ve come!
28. truthfully say that I 100% love my life
29. feel in charge of my life
30. motivate others (like YOU!) to live a happier and healthier life with my example!
I hope this does motivate you. I hope you are able to see that there is a better life out there for you. I know it can be hard to see, but that is why I did this – so you could see the actual changes in my life since I’ve been on a healthy journey.
I hope that if you haven’t subscribed to my free email updates full of exclusive information, you will head on over to do that now. It really only takes a minute, plus you’ll get all my posts right to your email as well so you aren’t missing anything along the way.