You know. I had a whole post written out with some words of “wisdom” and advice. But it just wasn’t flowing for me. Wasn’t jivin’. So instead, you get no words and a recipe instead! Believe me, you’ll be glad I made this choice. My words were too wordy. And this pasta I have for you really doesn’t need any words.
Creamy Zucchini & Spinach Rigatoni
adapted from Kraft Recipes
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil leaves, oregano leaves, and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 8 ounces Neufchatel cheese, cubed (low fat cream cheese)
- 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesean cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package, omitting salt.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 4 min. or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
Add flour and seasonings; cook and stir 1 min. Stir in broth; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until thickened. Add Neufchatel; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until melted.
Drain pasta; return to pan.
Add zucchini mixture, spinach, Parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella; mix lightly. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray.
You could just stop here, but where’s the fun in that, when instead you could have this! Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake 10 minutes or until mozzarella is melted.
Enjoy! This is such a good quick and easy dinner for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike. And it’s light enough that it works for summer-time as well (well, at least for as long as you can stand to have the oven on!)