These Coconut Lime Doughnuts are the perfect reminder that warm weather is soon on its way if it hasn’t made its way to you already!
Okay okay, so maybe not quite. Yes, yesterday officially marked the first day of spring on the calendar, and although our weather here in Utah has been beautiful and mild, I know there are still some cold days ahead. Or maybe you even still saw snow in your neck of the woods yesterday!
Regardless of the weather situation in your area, I decided to make you a treat that would make you think of warm weather no matter what.
One of my favorite flavor combinations is coconut and lime. Actually now that I think about it, coconut and anything is my favorite. Coconut + Coffee. Coconut + Chocolate. Coconut + Any liquor of any kind. You just can’t go wrong.
Anyway, back to the coconut and lime combo. It all just takes me back to childhood roadtrips. The ones where we’d listen to my parents’ “Golden Oldies” cd’s. I vividly remember the laughter we shared while all singing “You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up.” There was just something about that song that stuck with me as a part of my childhood memories.
So the song, along with the flavors mentioned in the song, and paired with the memory of a warm spring or summer roadtrip. It’s a given that I’ve just got to share a Coconut Lime recipe with you as we turn the corner into warmer weather.
Everything about these donuts is perfect. The light and springy cake consistency. The sweet icing. And of course the garnish of shredded coconut and lime zest.
1 cup all purpose flour
6 Tablespoons sugar
zest of 1 lime
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons buttermilk
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup confectioners sugar
zest of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a doughnut pan.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and lime zest, pressing with the back of a spoon to release the oils from the zest so the flavor incorporates throughout the sugar.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar & lime mixture, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine in milk, lime juice, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Beat together until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until completely combined.
- Use a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip (or a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off) to pipe the batter into a 6-doughnut pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until doughnuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
- To prepare icing, combine all icing ingredients in a small bowl. Stir until well incorporated.
- Once doughnuts have cooled, dip them into icing or spoon icing over the doughnuts. Top with lime zest and shredded coconut.